Montalcino Off The Beaten Path Tips by sue_stone Top 5 Page for this destination
Montalcino Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 12 photos
Blue skies and Punch ringing his bell
Located 38km east from Montalcino is the amiable hill town of Montepulciano, which sits perched atop a narrow ridge of volcanic rock in central Tuscany. The towns main street climbs steeply to Piazza Grande, and along the way gourmet food & wine shops tempt you.
While you are there, take the time to sample some local cuisine in one of the excellent restaurants, and more importantly, try some of the town's most famous product - Vino Nobile di Montepulciano - a flavoursome red wine, which is produced here.
Other attractions include the Duomo and surrounding grand buildings, dark cellars to explore and of course, don't forget about the wine ; ) You won't be disappointed by the views from the city walls either!
For more details, visit my Montepulciano page
Walking along the walls in Pienza
Located just 23km from Montalcino is the delightful town of Pienza, which is perched on a hill overlooking the rolling landscape of the Val d'Orcia. This tiny walled town is refreshingly not overrun with big tourist groups and is quiet enough to lose yourself to the stunning scenery surrounding it.
There is not a lot to see here, it is more about its location in one of the most stunning parts of Tuscany. It is a place to stop and sample the creamy, locally made Pecorino cheese and perhaps a glass or Brunello produced in nearby Montalcino.
Take a stroll along the town walls, enjoy the colours of Tuscany and plot your return.
It is an easy day/half day trip from Montalcino. Arriving by car, you will find small parking lots around the edge of the old town. There isn't a huge amount of parking though, so grab whatever you can find. We found a shady, free parking spot about 5 minutes walk from Piazza Dante Alighieri.
For more information, visit my Pienza page.
More Reviews (16)
- See All Gelateria del Corso - gelato
- See All Piazza del Popolo
- Amazing Tuscan countryside and views
sue_stone's Related Pages
Montalcino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brunello and much more.."
- "Montalcino - (constructing)"
- "Montalcino - Vineyards & Olive Groves"
- "Welcome To Montalcino"
- "Montalcino, Home of Brunello"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montalcino
- Hotels in Montalcino
- Transportation in Montalcino
- Nightlife in Montalcino
- Restaurants in Montalcino
- Shopping in Montalcino
- Warnings and Dangers in Montalcino
- See All...
Explore the World
- Salter Path Hotels
- Lafayette Hotels
- Burpengary Hotels
- Pulau Setindan Hotels
- Pulau Tekong
- Phu Quoc Off The Beaten Path
- Neighborhoods / Residential Areas
- Religion & Culture
- Tain Off The Beaten Path
- Auray Off The Beaten Path
- Isle of Man Off The Beaten Path
- Fraser Island Off The Beaten Path
- Minorca Island Off The Beaten Path
- Chile Off The Beaten Path
- Kelowna Off The Beaten Path
- Basketball Hall of Fame
Badges & Stats in Montalcino
- 18 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Montalcino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montalcino
Photos in MontalcinoSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 383 reviews, 1200 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 83 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barcelona Intro, 61 reviews, 245 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 61 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 52 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 33 reviews, 184 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues