Riomaggiore Transportation Tips by sue_stone Top 5 Page for this destination
Riomaggiore Transportation: 37 reviews and 80 photos
The best way to get around Riomaggiore and the Cinque Terre is by foot.
Walking along the cliffs between villages is a fantastic experience and the views are spectacular.
You don't need proper hiking shoes, but sturdy foot wear is a must. Leave the stilettos at home!!
We saw lots of people walking with poles, which may have made some of the steeper climbs a little easier - harder to juggle the camera though!!
travelling between villages
To travel to Riomaggiore, and between the five villages of the Cinque Terre you can catch the train that runs between La Spezia and Genoa. Besides hiking, it is the easiest and quickest way to travel from village to village, but not very scenic - most of the time you are in tunnels through the mountains, with only an occasional glimpse of the ocean.
The train is pretty slow, and not that frequent. There is usually 1-3 trains per hour in summer, and less as the weather gets colder. Some trains don't stop at all the villages, so make sure you check the timetable in advance.
A one ride ticket costs around 1.50 euro and there is a day pass that you can buy too. Tickets are available at each of the towns stations, and make sure you pick up a timetable as well.
The village of Riomaggiore is located on a cliff side, and it is therefore a pretty steep climb up to some of the higher streets. However, relief is available in the form of a public lift - Ascensore Pubblico.
The lift is located adjacent to the train station, and whisks you up to the top of the cliff, saving you a 5-10 minute walk. It runs from 8am till 7.45pm each day, and costs 50 cents for a single ticket and 1 euro for a family ticket.
It would be very convenient indeed if you are staying at a hotel up hill - a much easier way than dragging your luggage up up up. We caught the list in the "wrong" direction - we walked up the hill to look at the view and then ended up taking the lift back down as we were short for time. Oh well, we did need to try and work off some of that gelato.
Cruising the Cinque Terre
Navigazione Golfo dei Poeti runs shuttle boats between Monterosso - Vernazza - Manarola - Riomaggiore (they don't stop at Corniglia, as there is no harbour).
You can buy a day pass and jump on and off along the way, or just a one-way ticket.
A great way to see the beauty of the Cinque Terre!
Daily trip 11,50euro - Daily trip reduced rate 6,50euro
Monterosso - Vernazza: Return ticket 4,50euro - One way only 3,00euro
More Reviews (22)
- See All Enoteca dau Cila - wine bar near the...
- See All Il BoMa B&B - on the main street
- Ingenious Monorail!
- See All Fabulous Bar to watch the Sunset
- See All Heading off to walk the trails
sue_stone's Related Pages
Riomaggiore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Life in the Cinque Terre"
- "The First Village of the Cinque Terre"
- "Riomaggiore - it's all about love...."
- "Cinque Terre - Riomaggiore"
- "5 Terre"
- "Le Cinque Terre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riomaggiore
- Hotels in Riomaggiore
- Transportation in Riomaggiore
- Nightlife in Riomaggiore
- Restaurants in Riomaggiore
- Shopping in Riomaggiore
- Warnings and Dangers in Riomaggiore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore
- 26 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (83)
Have you been to Riomaggiore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riomaggiore
- updated a Riomaggiore Travel Page "The First Village of the Cinque Terre"
- Posted in Travel Toledo Forum "Re: Madrid -Toledo AVE - pre..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Wining and dining with my parents - Sep 2007"
- Wrote a Review Enoteca dau Cila - wine bar near the harbour in Riomaggiore Restaurants
- Commented on one of tini58de's Riomaggiore travel pages
Photos in RiomaggioreSee All Photos (146)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 383 reviews, 1200 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 83 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 61 reviews, 245 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 61 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 52 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 33 reviews, 184 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues