"The First Village of the Cinque Terre" Top 5 Page for this destination Riomaggiore by sue_stone

Riomaggiore Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 941 photos

The Cinque Terre (Five Lands) region of Italy is located on the Ligurian Coast, an hour or so from Pisa.

I haven't yet visited the whole of Italy, but from what I've seen so far, my favourite place is the Cinque Terre. Ok, the Amalfi Coast is beautiful, but the Cinque Terre is captivating.

There are 5 picturesque villages perched on the cliffs and you can walk between them, amazing at the beauty that this region has to offer.

It is magic here - but don't tell everyone!

Riomaggiore is the first of the five Cinque Terre villages. This small village has a steep main street, lined with colourful homes and shops.

Bright coloured fishing boats bob in the small, rocky harbour and the rocks are covered with locals soaking up some Cinque Terre sunshine.

The other villages of the Cinque Terre are:

• Last visit to Riomaggiore: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Feb 22, 2008

• JohanIsWeg's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Thanks for the excellent tip on the hikes from Riomaggiore to Monterosso - very helpful indeed!

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 4:56 AM

Good page. Ciao!

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Love your tip on the Cinque Terre Trails. We hiked them on possibly the hottest day of August - I don't what my friends and I were thinking! But the views were spectacular and I didn't want to leave.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Gorgeous updates here. I am surprised that you have used the lift for getting downwards instead of upwards. Oh well, yes, the Italians seem to have odd fruit salad, but I am glad to read that you got your daily ice creams fix. *winkygrin*

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 11:32 AM

What a pittoresque intro photo! I always wanted to travel to this area, so I hope that I will one day.

• Jun 24, 2007 at 11:58 AM

yes indeed. We found this place the first day of our 3-day visit and were back every day to cool off, have a beir and a little spuntino and watch the ships roll by. Bonus: prices were very reasonable.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Gradually working my way along the coast as you see (if rather erratically!) Your great tips and beautiful photos continue to tempt us ;)

• Apr 7, 2007 at 10:16 AM

thank You for Your kind words about our La Lanterna. Please, note our new e-mail address: ginomargaret@fastwebnet.it. Best regards

• Jun 19, 2006 at 12:45 PM

This is beautiful. It brings back very happy memories of one of my favourite spots on the planet. Yet another place we hope to return to soon!!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 9:22 PM

Wonderful page, Sue! I am so much looking forward to going there this coming September!

Badges & Stats in Riomaggiore

Have you been to Riomaggiore?