"Volterra" Top 5 Page for this destination Volterra by sue_stone

Volterra Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 473 photos

Volterra is perched high on a sheer, rocky plateau, proudly overlooking the lovely Tuscan landscape below. It is an ancient centre, famous for its Etruscan and Roman past, and filled with museums offering a glimpse of days gone by. The town is also famous for its alabaster, which is mined nearby.

We really enjoyed our stay in Volterra. It was less 'touristy' than the nearby San Gimignano, and just had a peaceful feel about it. A great place to relax and watch that beautiful Tuscan sunset.

• Last visit to Volterra: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2006

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Nice page Sue. Ciao!

• paulapes's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2011 at 7:03 PM

Hi Sue, I've enjoyed reading your comments on Volterra...I'm really looking forward to going the at the end of May! Thanks for your tips!!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Just started planning my trip to Tuscany so I can promise to be back to read more of your excellent pages.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 8:56 AM

Parma ham pizza is one of my favourites and gelato! I'm starving, have to fetch something to eat right now!

• nhcram's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 6:33 AM

Pizza and ice cream... sounds like Heaven to me!

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 5:32 AM

Gelati, alabaster gelati, a room with a view and a parade. What more could you want ! I've heard about Italian waiters, so what are the friendliest hotel staff like ? Great page, Sue.

• Oct 26, 2006 at 6:07 AM

WOW! A table with your name on it? and they didn't even know you were coming?? That IS good service ;-)) Great page hun - love those alabaster eggs! :))

Badges & Stats in Volterra

Have you been to Volterra?

Latest Activity in Volterra