"Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!" Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh by sue_stone
Marrakesh Travel Guide: 2,257 reviews and 6,213 photos
Marrakech is a crazy city. Noisy, dusty, busy and smelly, it is an exhausting place to visit! I loved it. Well, most of it.
I spent 4 nights there with my sister Alison. She suggested that we stay somewhere a little up-market, and that turned out to be an excellent idea - our stylish Riad (Moroccan style boutique hotel) was a quiet haven from the outside world, a place to escape when we needed a break from the souqs (markets) and the over-friendly locals.
We spent our days haggling in the souqs, visiting tombs and exploring the narrow streets, discovering more and more intriguing treasures along the way. I drank as much of the country’s favourite drink – Mint Tea – as I could. We loved eating like the locals - who needs cutlery when you have a lump of bread and your hands to use instead!
Highlights included hanging out in the main square - Djemaa el-Fna – the heart of the city. By day it is filled with fresh orange juice vendors and snake charmers. By night it becomes an open-air food market, filled with smoke, music and beggars. I also enjoyed exploring the souqs, laughing at Alison’s haggling attempts (sorry Ali!) and amazing over some of the bizarre items for sale. We also indulged in a fabulous massage at a posh day spa.
Lowlights included the pressure to pay anyone that may have been in one of your photos taken in Djemaa el-Fna (leading to me having an argument with a snake charmer….perhaps not the best idea when only one of us was holding a cobra!), and the constant un-wanted gaze of the local men, and their calls of 'gazelle, gazelle' in our direction. Oh, and our visit to the putrid smelling tanneries wasn't much fun either.
If we had had a little more time I would have liked to get out of Marrakech for a day or two and visit the Atlas Mountains (whose snow-capped peaks we could see in the distance), and perhaps one of the nearby towns. Oh well, looks like I will have an excuse to return to Morocco one day, and perhaps drag Alex along too.
- In a nutshell:A feast for the senses!
The Qzadria Square is an attractive, rose coloured pedestrian square located in the Mellah district, just north of the... more travel advice
The old Medina district of Marrakech is surrounded by city walls or ramparts. The two-metre thick walls date back to the... more travel advice
- See All Sagha - Grand Bijouterie - Jewellery
- See All Moroccan Food, Beer and Wine
- See All Warning - stinky leather
- See All Paying to take photographs
sue_stone's Related Pages
Marrakesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Winter and Summer in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakech"
- "Marrakech - Incredible but exhausting!"
- "Red City of Marrakech"
- "A “break” in Marrakesh"
- "Magical Marrakesh"
- "Marrakech - the Pink City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Hotels in Marrakesh
- Transportation in Marrakesh
- Nightlife in Marrakesh
- Restaurants in Marrakesh
- Shopping in Marrakesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Marrakesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marrakesh
- 52 Reviews
- 178 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 40 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (85)
Have you been to Marrakesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marrakesh
- Posted in Travel Toledo Forum "Re: Madrid -Toledo AVE - pre..."
- Commented on one of Acirfa's Marrakesh travel pages
- created a Marrakesh Travelogue "Art, by Alison"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Art, by Alison"
- Wrote a Review Qzadria Square - Place des Ferblantiers about Qzadria Square - Place des Ferblantiers in Marrakesh Things to Do
Photos in MarrakeshSee All Photos (178)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 383 reviews, 1200 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 83 reviews, 274 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 61 reviews, 245 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 61 reviews, 193 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 200 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 47 reviews, 192 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Intro, 52 reviews, 178 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 33 reviews, 184 photos, 6 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 36 reviews, 161 photos, 5 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 43 reviews, 150 photos, 5 travelogues