"Cairns - gateway to Far North Queensland" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns by sue_stone

Cairns Travel Guide: 867 reviews and 2,199 photos

I need to confess something up front - I am not that keen on Cairns. It is a bit touristy for me. But that said, some of the places surrounding Cairns are great!

Cairns is a good base for exploring Far North Queensland - you are a short boat ride from Green Island and the Low Isles, Yorkeys Knob and Palm Cove are just up the beach. And not forgetting my fav place in the area, Port Douglas, which is only an hour's drive north. A little further north you can check out Mossman Gorge and the Daintree.

My advice is to think of Cairns as a gateway, not a destination.

• Last visit to Cairns: Jun 2006
  • Intro Written Jun 1, 2007

• Rambling_Rover's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Will be visiting there in a couple of weeks. After reading your comments I was convinced that Port Douglas would be the better place to stay, but I got outvoted.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Hope I'll see Cairns someday --- I should have gone before to this gateway!

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Superb page on Cairns! Skyrail Rainforest Cableway sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• stjomopaul's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM

Sue, you have done a great job with your descriptions of Cairns. Thank you very much I have enjoyed reading them. Stjomopaul

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 7:38 AM

I agree very much with your opening remarks. Cairn's seems to live off of the tourist trade. I had lots of fun there still.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM

Looking at your satisfaction ratings of the restaurants, Cairns doesn't seem to be the place for gourmet travellers. I have never heard of the abbreviation BLT. So it is always good to learen something new. Well done ...

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Thanks for bringing back memories! But at that time there was no skyrail or man-made lagoon!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 4:02 AM

Lovely page Sue. I agree about Cairns though - we much preferred Palm Cove where we stayed. Remind me to tell you about Chris and the one-legged parrot!

• Jun 8, 2007 at 12:00 AM

What beautiful place, Sue. It looks absolutely stunning. I would love some blue sea, and warm sunshine right now :)

Badges & Stats in Cairns