"Delhi" Top 5 Page for this destination Delhi by diageva

Delhi Travel Guide: 1,724 reviews and 4,288 photos

Delhi First contact

As I arrived to Delhi I get a great cultural shock. My first contact was at the airport to take a taxi to the hotel. It was a hot day of a strange colour; I suppose that because of the contamination.

A big amount of people was there to take a taxi or waiting, it was an enormous chaos. We get inside the taxi; the taxi driver was very serious and unfriendly. As we made our way to the hotel we get inside very chaotic streets full of people, cows, rubbish … it was as being in other world, very different even from other Asian places I had been before. The traffic stopped and few drivers began to fight. Uhhh!!! Where was the Indian spirituality I thought I was going to find? What about holly cows? They where push of the way … what about people coming from the temple with the red point in the forehead full of spirituality that I saw at Singapore Little India?

As I get to the hotel, I did asked my self what I was doing there and, as I was undoing my baggage, I was thinking that all I had bring was wrong, all my clothes were so clear coloured, so white, I was so big, my hair was so blond, … I was not going to be able to walk in those streets without being notice.

After a little rest, after walking all along the streets I get use to all that changes, and not only get used to all that but get in love with it.

Delhi Vision

Delhi is a wonderful and very interesting historical city that has incredible beautiful monuments and places. A city that joins past and present and that require more than 5 days to get to have a first vision of it.

I stayed there over 5 days and did not have time to see the most important parts of it. Perhaps because I like to spend much time where I go, I missed places like Jami Masjid (that is was close when we went), I missed walking around Indian Gate and spend an afternoon at its gardens, National Museum, walk more time around Chandni Chowk, Qutb Minar … and many other places. So many interesting and incredible places for so little time.

What I saw

Of the places I visited I get in love especially with Humayun Tomb, with the vegetable market where our hotel was at Paharganj, with Dilli Haat market, with Red Fort, with Delhi itself.

I will go back, I promise.

Especial thanks to Radz and Husain.

• Pros:Interesting, mix, historical and cultural rich
  • Cons:Heat at summer
  • Last visit to Delhi: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2005

Travelogues (1)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 1:37 AM

great photos and tips. i liked to read about Red Fort on ur pages. Bora

• illumina's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Some good tips, and nice photos!

• AlPhilip's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2008 at 2:26 PM

I was going through your pages and it's all so interesting! I just wish I could visit all those places you've been to! Best regards, Alex

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Interesting tips and useful, I am off to India again this winter all going well, I feel very excited about my upcoming journey. Thanks for sharing all your pics.

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2007 at 8:28 AM

I am enjoying both your Delhi and Agra pages today. I will go in November and I appreciate your candid thoughts and impressions.

• brendazart's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 12:01 PM

Your descriptions are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your honesty and enthusiasm. Blessings from California, USA!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Your photos were beautiful; your commentary interesting. The palaces were absolutely stunning...

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2006 at 9:55 AM

Wonderful page, Diageva. Great photos, and great intro. I often have a "Why am I here" feeling too before I start falling in love with a new place. Great job.

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2005 at 4:09 PM

Very nice and interesting page. I like your photos and useful infos. Sending you greetings from Poland.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 1:45 AM

Nice photo's and info on Delhi...such a mad vibrant city! Blu

diageva

“flamenca ... por cojones”

Badges & Stats in Delhi