Sitka Packing List Tips by Colewade Top 5 Page for this destination
Sitka What to Pack: 3 reviews and 2 photos
Leaving the Ferry
Luggage and bags: Maximum of two per person both of which will pass the carry-on test. Pack for half the trip. Do laundry if you need to, or better don't take anything you wouldn't wear twice and could combine to make a new outfit. Alaska is most definitely not a fashion show.
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Layers Layers Layers
Good hiking boots or very comfortable walking shoes with good soles and a waterproof shell are essential. Umbrellas are pretty useless in the wind. You can even get by without a coat except in the winter. I didn't take a coat and I still found myself shedding layers, even after the first sunstantial fall cold snap and snow on the surrounding mountains. Take a fleece sweatshirt and long underwear and you are ready for anything nature has to offer from May to September.
Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Mosquito repellent, though I did't wear it or need it in september and we spent a fair amount of time in the woods. Meclizine for motion sickness (Dramamine non drowsy) Makes you a little sleepy, but not hung over.
Photo Equipment: A zoom is really nice for wildlife shots. Binoculars are very useful.
More Reviews (20)
- See All Save Big Money on Tours: Toursaver...
- See All Tours and Transport from the Ferry
- Sitka Trails
- See All Old Harbor Book Store
Colewade's Related Pages
Sitka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sitka--One of the MOST beautiful places in the US!"
- "The Independent Traveler's Guide to Sitka"
- "Sitka ~ Tlingit, Russian & American Melting Pot"
- "Now And Then"
- "Most scenic town in Alaska"
- "Southeastern Alaska"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sitka
- Hotels in Sitka
- Transportation in Sitka
- Nightlife in Sitka
- Restaurants in Sitka
- Shopping in Sitka
- Warnings and Dangers in Sitka
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brunswick Junction Hotels
- East Houston Hotels
- Saba Hotels
- Lac d' Artouste Hotels
Badges & Stats in Sitka
- 21 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Sitka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sitka
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 29 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skagway Intro, 21 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Asheville 1 review, 1 photo
No friends yet.