"Back Where I Come From" Oliver Springs by Sassy417
Oliver Springs Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Nestled in a natural gap at the foot of the majestic Cumberland mountain range and blessed with huge natural resources, Oliver Springs traces its roots from the Native American cultures who were drawn to the varied mineral springs, to the hardy frontiersmen expanding westward from the original colonies, to wealthy industrialists who transformed this area into a mecca of healing waters.
My family moved here when I was 10 yrs old. This is where I grew up, small town with lots of history*
Oliver Springs was founded in 1830 as Winter's Gap, named for its first white settler, Major Moses Winter. The land around Oliver Springs had been used for centuries by Native Americans as Indian hunting ground and, as a campsite, but it was its natural mineral springs and abundance of wildlife on Windrock Mountain that encouraged them to stay. The springs, whose reputation for miraculous medicinal properties lasted until the 20th century, where known as "Tah-hah-lehaha" to the Cherokee, a name meaning "healing waters." The land remained unexplored until 1761, when Elisha Walden traveled through the Clinch and Powell River valleys. Settlement in the area did not begin in earnest until the 1790s. Major Moses Winter was the first settler and, the town was known as Winter's Gap in his honor. Growth remained slow, but by 1826, Richard Oliver became the town's first postmaster. The town was re-named Oliver's in his honor, then to briefly to Poplar Springs, and then to Oliver Springs.
The railroad came to Oliver Springs in 1888, and brought thousands of visitors to the springs.
Years after, the mountains were minded for coal as this was the town's biggest revenue.
Years have gone by since I left this place however some things always remain the same.......
- Pros:Everybody knows their neighbor, friendly, have family living here
- Cons:small town, lack of opportunity
- In a nutshell:Nice place to visit, laid back atmosphere
Sassy417's Related Pages
Oliver Springs Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oliver Springs
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Oliver Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oliver Springs
Photos in Oliver SpringsSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tennessee Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Knoxville Intro, 20 reviews, 12 photos
- Alaska Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevierville Intro, 14 reviews, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seymour Intro, 14 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake Lanier Vista Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- North Carolina Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Anna Maria Island Intro, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Charlotte Intro, 9 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gatlinburg Intro, 10 reviews, 3 photos