"marvão" Marvão by quartinb
Marvão Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 230 photos
Between Castelo de Vide and Portalegre, and only a few kilometres from Spain, stands the peaceful town of Marvão, on the highest crest of the Serra de São Mamede. Inside the walls are narrow streets lined with the beautiful popular houses that are typical of the Alentejo. Amidst them, it is easy to find Gothic arches, Manueline windows, wrought-iron balconies and other embellishments in the nooks and crannies of the buildings made from the local granite.
Besides the castle and the walls that no visitors to the town will ever forget, Marvão's architectural heritage includes the Igreja de Santa Maria, a church that has been transformed into the Municipal Museum, the Igreja de Santiago, the Renaissance Capela do Espírito Santo and the Convento de Nossa Senhora da Estrela, lying outside the walls
One of the main reasons for visiting Marvão is the beautiful view over the surrounding region. To best appreciate it, we recommend the views from the top of the castle´s high keep (Torre de Menagem) and from the Pousada de Santa Maria, luxurious hotel accommodation that has been formed through the adaptation of two of the town's houses and also offers you a place to rest and savour the delicious regional cuisine.
The Chestnut Festival, which is held in November, is an excellent occasion for visiting the town and getting to know more about its people and the local customs.
quartinb's Related Pages
Marvão Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marvão - A Hilltop Castle & Enclosed Garden!"
- "Marvão the eagles nest"
- "Where we can see the birds back"
- "Marvao - UNESCO candidate 2004"
- "Marvão: The Unforgettable Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marvão
- Hotels in Marvão
- Transportation in Marvão
- Restaurants in Marvão
- Shopping in Marvão
- Warnings and Dangers in Marvão
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Marvão
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Marvão?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marvão
Photos in MarvãoSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 58 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pôrto Seguro Intro, 30 reviews, 73 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madeira Island Intro, 30 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monsaraz Intro, 14 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belém Intro, 14 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dominican Republic Intro, 17 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Benidorm Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sines Intro, 11 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sintra Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues