"~ Pawtuxet Village ~" Pawtuxet by gosiaPL
Pawtuxet Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 190 photos
Pawtuxet village is a charming little place with grand history. It is one of the oldest villages in New England and in 1973 it was designated a Historic District in the National Register. No wonder the people of Pawtuxet are dedicated to preserve their heritage, the colonial architecture and their traditions.
Pawtuxet means "Little Falls" in the native language of the local Indian tribe that was a part of the Narrangasett Indian nation (many places in Rhode Island still bear the Indian names). But the village prouds itself in much more than its little falls on the river! It was here that America's First Blow for Freedom was made - read about it below.
Besides the historic importance which is celebrated annually during Gaspee Days, Pawtuxet village is beautifully located on the lovely Pawtuxet Cove of the Narrangasett Bay which makes the village a nice and quiet retreat if you want a relaxing weekend. Check Pawtuxet village website for the details you want.
Common confusions about Pawtuxet that you may want to avoid:
1) Although historically it is one village, in official or administrative terms it is divided between two cities: Cranston and Warwick. That's why some addresses in Pawtuxet are in Cranston and others are in Warwick.
2) Bear in mind the spelling of PAWTUXET if you look for information or directions. Two other names in Rhode Island that Pawtuxet can be mistaken for are PAWTUCKET and PAWCATUCK! Don't rely solely on your feeling that the name "sounds familiar" :-)
* * * * * * * * * * * *
The Pawtuxet River separates the Cranston and the Warwick sections of Pawtuxet Village and was one of the bounds of Providence mentioned in the Indian deed to Roger Williams (the founder of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations), which the sign proudly commemorates. The bridge offers a great view of the river emptying into the Pawtuxet Cove - check my intro picture above.
In the 17th century the two banks of the River were connected with just a rope bridge.
Gaspee Days are a series of events in Pawtuxet, with the Gaspee Parade being the core of the days. It commemorates the Burning of HMS Gaspee, the much hated British revenue schooner, that took place on Pawtuxet waters in 1772. It was the first attack against the British in American colonies, a year before the Boston Tea Party, the first step towards the War of Independence. Hence the burning of Gaspee is often referred to as America's First Blow for Freedom and, naturally, the people of Pawtuxet (and of Rhode Island in general) are very proud of it.
If you're interested in the other events and wish to plan your trip to Pawtuxet accordingly, check the Gaspee Days website.
- In a nutshell:Quiet, lovely place that marks its presence loudly once a year :-)
Janet's lovely cottage for rent is in a perfect location: just 4 minutes' walk to the cove and the park. You'll love the... more travel advice
There are several antiques stores in Pawtuxet but my favourite one is Antiques Haven. Claire, who owns it, certainly... more travel advice
Written Jun 25, 2006
GASPEE PARADE 2004 (Part 1)
Written Jun 25, 2006
GASPEE PARADE 2004 (Part 2)
gosiaPL's Related Pages
Pawtuxet Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pawtuxet
- Hotels in Pawtuxet
- Transportation in Pawtuxet
- Nightlife in Pawtuxet
- Restaurants in Pawtuxet
- Shopping in Pawtuxet
- Warnings and Dangers in Pawtuxet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pawtuxet
- 24 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Pawtuxet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pawtuxet
Photos in PawtuxetSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 71 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 52 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 62 reviews, 62 photos
- Sandomierz Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 48 reviews, 47 photos
- Salem Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue