"Plymouth ~ America's Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth by gosiaPL
Plymouth Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 239 photos
My trip to New England had to include Plymouth, Mass. where the Pilgrim Fathers set their feet in 1620 and established the first colony there. That's why the 50,000-population Plymouth is called America's Hometown. Naturally, it's a town rich in history and with lots of places to visit, you could easily spend a few days there but I took only a day's trip, saw some of the key places and certainly missed a few others. It is heaven for those who love history or, at least, are curious about the first European settlement in Northern America in what used to be the Indian village of Patuxet.
I'd say the historical places are a must in Plymouth but your trip need not be all about the serious stuff. You can hop on a boat for a cruise in the bay or go out to the ocean for deep sea fishing or whale watching! And Plymouth can be fun even if you go there with kids, all the key sites are meant to be both educating and entertaining for them!
You will enjoy touring the Mayflower replica ship, walking around the re-created Pilgrim Village, and seeing the Wampanoag Indian homesite. There are costumed guides to give you all the details you may be curious about. All the three sites are owned now by the Plimoth Plantation foundation.
You will see the name 'Plimoth' a lot in Plymouth, and you may be confused about the spelling... Well, while the present-day town is called Plymouth, the foundation uses the former spelling known from old records and maps.
Plymouth is the place of the First Thanksgiving in 1621 from which the American holiday originated. Be sure to visit the Thanksgiving exhibition at the Visitor's Centre by the Pilgrim Village. It is quite fascinating to find out about this old tradition in the modern multi-media way.
- In a nutshell:An educating, entertaining must!
You may feel it's enough to only walk around the 1627 Pilgrim Vilage talking to the guides. But you will get more from... more travel advice
Wonder what to bring from your trip to Plymouth? Well, it sure should be a bottle of their unique cranberry wine! Or... more travel advice
gosiaPL's Related Pages
Plymouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PLYMOUTH, MASSACHUSETTS"
- "Plymouth : A travel 381 years back"
- "Finding My Mayflower Roots in Plymouth, Mass."
- "Plymouth, Home of the Pilgrims"
- "Plymouth ~ America's Hometown"
- "Plymouth, Massachusetts"
- "JOURNEY FROM PLYMOUTH TO PLYMOUTH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plymouth
- Hotels in Plymouth
- Transportation in Plymouth
- Nightlife in Plymouth
- Restaurants in Plymouth
- Shopping in Plymouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Plymouth
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Plymouth
- 15 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Plymouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plymouth
Photos in PlymouthSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 71 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 52 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 62 reviews, 62 photos
- Sandomierz Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 48 reviews, 47 photos
- Salem Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Plymouth hotel reviews
- Pilgrim Sands Motel
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- Governor Bradford On Harbour
- 127 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Blue Spruce Motel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Above the Bay at Thornton Adams Bed and Breakfast
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 5, 2013
- John Carver Inn
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 13, 2013
- Pinewood Lodge Campground
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 24, 2013
- Ellis Haven Campground
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Best Western Cold Spring
- 308 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 14, 2013
- Auberge Gladstone
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- A White Swan Bed and Breakfast
- 82 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Barbara*S Bed And Breakfast
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2011