"Bialowieza ~ Bialowieski National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Bialowieza by gosiaPL

Bialowieza Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 134 photos

The Bialowieski National Park is the oldest one in Poland but the main reason to visit it is that it has some remains of the last primeval forest that a human hand never interfered with. No tree was ever cut or planted in the Special Protection zone, it is 100% pure natural, one of the seven such places in the world.

The second reason is that it was in Bialowieza that the lowland European bison was restituted into the forests from near extinction. You can see the bison in the Demonstration Reserve, and if you're lucky, you may spot the bison living freely in the Bialowieza forests.

The Bialowieza forests (Puszcza Bialowieska) have the status of the World Biosphere Reserve. They are in eastern Poland and actually extend into Belarus.

Two main places to bear in mind when in the region are the Bialowieza village and the county town of Hajnowka. To get a better idea of what is available in the area, please visit also my Hajnowka page.

This map comes from the National Park's website. If you want more information, you'll find it there. I've borrowed a few close-up pictures from their website, but I give them the credit due with their pictures. Other photos were taken by myself or my friends who visited Bialowieza with me.

Hope you enjoy the little tour :-)

• Pros:The primeval forests, the bison, the beautiful nature
  • Cons:Mosquitos
  • In a nutshell:Exceptional experience!
  • Last visit to Bialowieza: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated May 3, 2004

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Looks like an awesome place.

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 11:02 AM

Amazing page and tips. Must be fantastic place!! Thanks:)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 10:10 PM

A gr8 write up on another interesting & beautiful place to visit in Poland. Thanks for showing this to us VTers my friend Gosia! Cheers from downunder.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2005 at 11:25 AM

This page has both nature and culture (the Orthodox religion) - what a great combination for a trip! And how wonderful to stay with local people, you really put together a great trip!

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2004 at 9:14 AM

Alina (altom) turned me on to your site on Bisons. I had no idea that they survived the ice age hunting. Its fantastic and I obviously underestimated the amount of unspoiled areas in Europe. Great overview of the park! Thanks, Frank

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2004 at 11:57 AM

Enjoyed this trip through the park. Your page is fantastic.

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2004 at 2:37 AM

Bison in Europe? Sounds like you got as close to exterminating them as we did. And I had no idea there was any primaeval forest left in Poland at all. These are must sees!

• Sympathisant's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 2:50 PM

bardzo dobra strona!

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2004 at 3:49 AM

Only '240' of them? Anyway , there are also a few 'belgian' wissenten living here. I hope to visit one day. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I like the little village.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2004 at 2:34 PM

Wonderful page with perfect info, links and pictures! Great area for one of my... next weekend trips, I see. I will bring apples for the moose and will not eat bison steak, although... who knows :-)

gosiaPL

“Take the road less travelled...”

Badges & Stats in Bialowieza

Have you been to Bialowieza?

Latest Activity in Bialowieza