"~ Sandomierz, the Great ~" Sandomierz by gosiaPL
Sandomierz Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 137 photos
If you're looking for a quiet place of great history, which has not been trampled by crowds of tourists yet, Sandomierz is just for you. This small town is off the main routes but it prides itself with great heritage and many antiquities, charming little streets, beautiful natural gorges and stunning panorama views on the Vistula valley. It simply has got an atmosphere, a unique aura which is matched by only a few other places in Poland.
It was a Royal City once and an important trading centre when grain was shipped to Gdansk on the Vistula and Western European travelleres crossed the river here on their way to Ruthenia. It was one of the favourite destinations for our kings (the first castle dates back to the 14th century) and an important centre for mediaeval academics. It's one of the oldest Polish towns, with civic rights granted in the 13th century. OK, I'm not going to bore you with other significant details here, I'll just say that all of Sandomierz is a large open-air museum in the national registry, a bit like Krakow only on a smaller scale :-)
I didn't get enough of Sandomierz (pron. San-DOH-myesh)... my visit took only a half-day and was a quick trip from Baranow Sandomierski that I chose for a May weekend. I definitely want to come back for more!
- In a nutshell:One big open-air museum!
There are many gift stores, local craft stores, cards kiosks and antique shops in the Market Sq. and the little streets... more travel advice
The Market Sq. is a frequent venue for live music. When we were there, preparations were made for shanties singing! I... more travel advice
- See All Eat comfortably in the Market Sq.
- See All Gory Pieprzowe (Pepper Hills)
- Getting there may be a bit of a hassle
Written Aug 23, 2006
The Dlugosz House, 1476
Written Jun 30, 2006
The Underground Route
gosiaPL's Related Pages
Sandomierz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sandomierz...it's HOW old !!????"
- "~ Sandomierz, the Great ~"
- "Town of 7th hills"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandomierz
- Hotels in Sandomierz
- Transportation in Sandomierz
- Nightlife in Sandomierz
- Restaurants in Sandomierz
- Shopping in Sandomierz
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sandomierz
- 29 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Sandomierz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandomierz
Photos in SandomierzSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 71 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 52 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 62 reviews, 62 photos
- Sandomierz Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 48 reviews, 47 photos
- Salem Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Sandomierz hotel reviews
- Hotel Pod Cizemka
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013