"~ Sandomierz, the Great ~" Sandomierz by gosiaPL

Sandomierz Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 137 photos

A TOWN THAT GOT UNDER MY SKIN !

If you're looking for a quiet place of great history, which has not been trampled by crowds of tourists yet, Sandomierz is just for you. This small town is off the main routes but it prides itself with great heritage and many antiquities, charming little streets, beautiful natural gorges and stunning panorama views on the Vistula valley. It simply has got an atmosphere, a unique aura which is matched by only a few other places in Poland.

It was a Royal City once and an important trading centre when grain was shipped to Gdansk on the Vistula and Western European travelleres crossed the river here on their way to Ruthenia. It was one of the favourite destinations for our kings (the first castle dates back to the 14th century) and an important centre for mediaeval academics. It's one of the oldest Polish towns, with civic rights granted in the 13th century. OK, I'm not going to bore you with other significant details here, I'll just say that all of Sandomierz is a large open-air museum in the national registry, a bit like Krakow only on a smaller scale :-)

I didn't get enough of Sandomierz (pron. San-DOH-myesh)... my visit took only a half-day and was a quick trip from Baranow Sandomierski that I chose for a May weekend. I definitely want to come back for more!

Hope you'll enjoy this page :-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• In a nutshell:One big open-air museum!
  • Last visit to Sandomierz: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2006

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Fabulous page with brilliant photos of this Polish gem. We might visit Sandomierz after the VT Euromeeting in Krakow.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Sandomierz would be a great place to visit!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 5:25 AM

My congratulations - amazing page and travelogues. The underground tour and those tiny cobbled streets make me ready to go. Well, in one of the next sunny weekends...

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 7:43 AM

Good updates. Wonderful little town....where I will always remember finding yet another feather. (wink)

gosiaPL

“Take the road less travelled...”

Badges & Stats in Sandomierz

Have you been to Sandomierz?

Latest Activity in Sandomierz