"Tarnow ~ beautiful & historical" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarnow by gosiaPL
Tarnow Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 131 photos
Tarnow is a beautiful town 50 miles east of Krakow, with its history going back to the early 12th century. It was the seat of the Tarnowski family, one of the most prominent clans in Poland's history, whose Jan was the Crown's Great Hetman (army chief) in the 16th century.
My stop in Tarnow was not planned for but, gosh, was I glad it happened! I had always wanted to see the town, having heard it had one of the nicest market squares in the country. I saw as much as I could on one afternoon before it got dark but I know there is so much more to explore on any next visit... If you're interested in centuries' old architecture, this little town is just for you - easy to scoot off to from Krakow and return on the same day. You'll get a chance to see a really pleasant off-the-beaten-path "face" of Poland that most tourists miss.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, friendly people
- Cons:One afternoon is not enough
- In a nutshell:Lovely, historical, relaxed...
By the year 1939 Jews constituted 45% of Tarnow population, before they faced their horrible fate in German Nazi... more travel advice
The title explains it all: it was once a busy hotel when Tarnow was the capital of the Tarnowskie province, and lots of... more travel advice
gosiaPL's Related Pages
Tarnow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tarnow ~ beautiful & historical"
- "A quick stop off in Tarnow - (Tar-noof)"
- "A former private town, now a rennaissance pearl."
- "Ben-UK's Tarnow page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarnow
- Hotels in Tarnow
- Transportation in Tarnow
- Restaurants in Tarnow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarnow
- 14 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tarnow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarnow
Photos in TarnowSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 71 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 52 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 62 reviews, 62 photos
- Sandomierz Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 48 reviews, 47 photos
- Salem Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue