"Peñiscola the Magnificent" Top 5 Page for this destination Peñíscola by gosiaPL

Peñíscola Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 121 photos

It's a Wow! for a castle fan

I just love castles so I can't miss an opportunity to see one :-)
Castell de Peñiscola has a great history and is a splendid example of military architecture of the Middle Ages. First originated as a Muslim fortress, and then it expanded into a huge castle of the Templars. Later it was modified by Pope Benedicto XIII, commonly known as Pedro de Luna, who resided there in the years 1411-1423 during the schism of Occident.

If you ever go to Costa del Azahar in Spain, you just MUST see it!

I guess I should be honest to warn you that I have no tips for accommodation or restaurants in Peńiscola... It was half a day's trip between lunch and dinner, and I stayed at the nearby Alcossebre where I spent my holidays. Check the little map in my Transportation tip.

This page is RATHER FINISHED -- no more pics or tips, I'm afraid :-(
Unless... I go to Peńiscola again one day! :-D

It's on a tiny peninsula

Bird's eye view of Peñiscola. See the castle?

The peninsula is also a hill - 64m (200ft) high above the sea waves, and the castle is of course at the top. Add the height of the castle, and just imagine the panorama from the castle's top deck...
It's just breathtaking!

• Pros:Excellent example of mediaeval architecture
  • Cons:None, really...
  • In a nutshell:A must for fans of castles!
  • Last visit to Peñíscola: Aug 2000
  • Intro Updated Dec 20, 2003

• WYLENEoftheWORLD's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 12:55 PM

I LOVED your pics and info on Peniscola! We have the same taste- I love romantic, old, cute streets and PALM TREES!!! We don't have them in Washington State either!

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2005 at 10:39 PM

Hi Gosia! What an excellent page on a very interesting place. Never heard of it before but I definitely want to visit it one day. I love castles, too.

• quartinb's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2004 at 11:28 PM

amazing castle that's for sure....

• btex's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2004 at 5:38 PM

nice photos. castles are always fun to visit. I've never seen El Cid.

• Gokcecicek's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 3:47 PM

Hi! First of all thank you for your comment on my page. After reading what is important for you in your trips, I highly recommend you to visit Turkey. You will be amazed. :))

• Beach_dog's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2004 at 8:41 AM

Great page Gosia, Spain really excels with its castles, and this castle looks a great. I´m still trying to get to Burgos cathedral to see the tomb of El Cid. Thanks Stace :0)

• matcrazy0's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2004 at 5:55 AM

Gosiu, ojejku - to bylo moje pierwsze (i jakze cudowne) miejsce w Hiszpanii. Maciek jechal cala noc z Andorry,a ja spalam i obudzilam sie w... raju pelnym palm - to byla wlasnie Peniscola! Wielkie, wielkie dzieki za piekne strony!

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2003 at 12:31 PM

This looks like an awesome place to visit. I like castles too.

• FOotFetish's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2003 at 4:44 AM

Gosia, good on you! See, smart travellers like you have great shoes tip too :)) Oh the castles...are...soo HUGE!! I;ve never seen one b4..thanks for putting up those pics

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2003 at 2:18 PM

Thanks did not even know abou this place!

gosiaPL

“Take the road less travelled...”

Badges & Stats in Peñíscola

Have you been to Peñíscola?

Latest Activity in Peñíscola