"Peñiscola the Magnificent" Top 5 Page for this destination Peñíscola by gosiaPL
Peñíscola Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 121 photos
I just love castles so I can't miss an opportunity to see one :-)
Castell de Peñiscola has a great history and is a splendid example of military architecture of the Middle Ages. First originated as a Muslim fortress, and then it expanded into a huge castle of the Templars. Later it was modified by Pope Benedicto XIII, commonly known as Pedro de Luna, who resided there in the years 1411-1423 during the schism of Occident.
I guess I should be honest to warn you that I have no tips for accommodation or restaurants in Peńiscola... It was half a day's trip between lunch and dinner, and I stayed at the nearby Alcossebre where I spent my holidays. Check the little map in my Transportation tip.
Unless... I go to Peńiscola again one day! :-D
Bird's eye view of Peñiscola. See the castle?
The peninsula is also a hill - 64m (200ft) high above the sea waves, and the castle is of course at the top. Add the height of the castle, and just imagine the panorama from the castle's top deck...
It's just breathtaking!
- Pros:Excellent example of mediaeval architecture
- Cons:None, really...
- In a nutshell:A must for fans of castles!
I was driven there by a friend, and it took about 15-20 minutes to get there from Alcossebre. If Peñiscola is not... more travel advice
The ticket to the castle is actually a postcard that you can mail. That's a nice idea but I decided to keep mine for... more travel advice
gosiaPL's Related Pages
Peñíscola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Umfufu in Peñiscola"
- "Peñiscola the Magnificent"
- "Beach and little castle (but with long history)"
- "Peñíscola: the town of Pope Luna"
- "the third pope city ,after roma and avignon!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Peñíscola
- Hotels in Peñíscola
- Transportation in Peñíscola
- Restaurants in Peñíscola
- Warnings and Dangers in Peñíscola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Peñíscola
- 15 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Peñíscola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Peñíscola
Photos in PeñíscolaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Gdansk Intro, 42 reviews, 133 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Krakow Intro, 71 reviews, 82 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 47 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 52 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 62 reviews, 62 photos
- Sandomierz Intro, 29 reviews, 79 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bucharest Intro, 33 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kazimierz Dolny Intro, 48 reviews, 47 photos
- Salem Intro, 41 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rimini Intro, 36 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue