Seoul Sports & Outdoors Tips by jburron Top 5 Page for this destination
Seoul Sports & Outdoors: 40 reviews and 61 photos
Lotsa Bikes for Rent
If you're in Yeouido Park or Olympic Park and want to ride a bike you're in luck. The picutre to the left is just half of the stock of one of the five bike rental places in Yeouido Park (and more in Olympic and other ones, too).
Rates are reasonable (same as the rollerblades, actually) at 3,000 won (USD 2.50) an hour...6,000 won an hour for tandem bikes (those ones are popular too). Just give them a piece of ID and pay for the first hour, if you go longer just make up the 'overtime', as they call it, when you return (there is no extra charge for being late, you still pay the base rate only).
You can even go as far as you like...perhaps the 22 km from Yeouido Park to Olympic Bridge...just as long as you're back by about 8-9pm when they want to close up.
Directions: Rental places are close to the gates of the parks. They call a bike a "ja-jeon-geo" here.
Up, up and away!
There are a few skate parks in Seoul. One is at Yongsan Garrison, but you need to be US military (or a guest) to go there. Another is in Hangang Park near Yeouido Park (but it is closed in the summer, I think, as the area is usually a massive swimming/wading pool in the hot months) and another is in Hangang Park near World Cup Stadium (but it is full of little kids and pretty elementary).
The best I've seen is at Olympic Park. It's pretty new and has all the bells and whistles. (Also, since it's new and out of the way it's pretty empty!)
It's located near the tennis courts close to the South entrance to the park (across the street from the Olympic Plaza shopping area).
It has bowls, ramps and railings of various degrees and altitudes.
Address: Olympic Park Station (Line 5), Olympic Park exit.
Directions: Located near the tennis courts close to the South entrance to the park. Or Line 8 (Mongchon Toseong Station), but you'll need to walk a long way.
Theme: Extreme Sports
This way to the Park!
Inline skating (as it's called here, easier to pronounce than rollerblading) is a big fad here. One of the best places for it is Hangang Park (on the Han River). Both sides of the river are lined with cycling, inline and walking/running paths (sometimes all in one!) and it can get pretty busy (including the delivery motorcycles that putter up and down the river) but it's a blast.
My route is from Yeouido Park (taking a tunnel under the street--careful it slopes down to Hangang) to Hangang Park then either all the way down to Olympic Bridge (Olympic Daegyo) which is like 20km/2 hours away and back or to World Cup Stadium which is on the North side of the River, so you need to go up/down about 50 stairs and cross a bridge. (World Cup route is about 40 mins each way for me...at a good speed.)
Just bring money, there are numerous stores selling food, candy and drinks along the way.
Equipment: You can rent blades (as well as bikes) at Yeouido Park. Cost is just 3,000 won (USD 2.5) an hour. Buying equipment in Seoul is about the same as at home (USD 100-300 depending on your preference) and there are many places to get them (Lotte Mart, LG Mart, dedicated sports stores).
Address: Hangang Park/Yeouido Park
Directions: Yeouido Station (Line 5) head West (toward the National Assembly) to get to Yeouido Park (follow the teenagers). The tunnel to Hangang Park is in the North-West corner (near the police station).
DON'T DRIVE there on weekends, parking is brutal.
More Reviews (129)
- See All You May Be Late For Your Meeting
- See All Buxom Ladies Take Note
- See All Another Live Octopus Place
- See All Buying a Custom Suit (In Itaewon)
- See All Drop Some Bombs!
- See All Seoul: The City of Protests
- See All Charge Your Phone Anywhere (Almost)
- See All Sucky Singing Room in Yeouido
- See All Good Price, unreal TV
- Hong-Ik University Flea/Free Market
- Achasan = Missed Chance Mountain?
- See All Foreign Fortune Tellers
jburron's Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cincinnati Hotels
- Rehoboth Beach
- Isla Baltra Hotels
- Chuquicamata Hotels
- Punta Santiago Hotels
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 132 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 59 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
- Uploaded a Photo to "Seoul Waegookin Gathering - Details"
- Commented on one of machomikemd's Seoul travel pages
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: Moving to Seoul from the US..."
- Wrote a Review You May Be Late For Your Meeting about Other Stuff in Seoul Transportation
- updated a Seoul Travel Page "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 132 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 148 reviews, 86 photos
- Toronto 23 reviews, 3 photos
- New York City 10 reviews, 1 photo
- Vancouver 5 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Seoul hotel reviews
- Crown Hotel Itaewon Seoul
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 6, 2013
- Provista Hotel & Residence Seoul
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- IP Boutique Hotel
- 221 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Han Suites Serviced Residences Seoul
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Sheraton Grande Walker Hill Hotel and Towers Seoul
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Toyoko Inn Seoul Dongdaemun
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Namsan Guest House
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Ramada Seoul Hotel
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Stay Korea Homestay
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Riviera Hotel Seoul
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Seoul Tower Ville
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 28, 2013
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 13, 2013
- Best Western Premier Seoul Garden Hotel
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Holiday In Korea Hostel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- The Lexington Hotel
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Gyeongbokgung Palace- 87 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Namsan (South Mountain) and Seoul Tower- 67 Reviews, 160 Photos
- DMZ - DeMilitarized Zone- 57 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Korean Folk Village- 41 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Insadong- 37 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Lotte World- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Itaewon- 19 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Myeongdong- 22 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Namdaemun - Great South Gate- 35 Reviews, 57 Photos
- Dongdaemoon - Great East Gate- 31 Reviews, 61 Photos
See All Seoul Things to Do