Seoul Local Custom Tips by jburron Top 5 Page for this destination
Seoul Local Customs: 217 reviews and 557 photos
Don't Regret not Seeing Achasan.
Here is a little story to tell when you are having lunch at the top of Namsan Tower (it revolves and little signs tell you what you are looking at in the distance).
In Guui-Dong near the Children's Grand Park (aka Zoo) is Achasan (san means mountain). You may think these myths are useless (if so, rate this tip that way) but as you meet older and better-educated Koreans you'll see that get more respect by knowing more about their culture.
Here is the story. A King was testing a shaman/fortune teller. He showed him a box and asked, "How many dogs are inside?" The shaman said, "Three." The box was opened to reveal only two dogs. The king ordered him executed and he was taken away.
For some reason, they cut the dogs open (I guess they ate them back then too) and found a pup inside. Three dogs! Stop the exectution! Too late, the shaman was already dead. The king exclaimed "Acha!"
So now Koreans say "acha" when they have some regret or missed chance.
More Reviews (131)
- See All You May Be Late For Your Meeting
- See All Buxom Ladies Take Note
- See All Another Live Octopus Place
- See All Buying a Custom Suit (In Itaewon)
- See All Drop Some Bombs!
- See All Seoul: The City of Protests
- See All Charge Your Phone Anywhere (Almost)
- See All Sucky Singing Room in Yeouido
- See All Good Price, unreal TV
- See All Lots of Bikes for Rent
- Hong-Ik University Flea/Free Market
- See All Foreign Fortune Tellers
jburron's Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 132 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 59 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
- Commented on one of machomikemd's Seoul travel pages
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Re: Moving to Seoul from the US..."
- Wrote a Review You May Be Late For Your Meeting about Other Stuff in Seoul Transportation
- updated a Seoul Travel Page "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Buxom Ladies Take Note"
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 132 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 148 reviews, 86 photos
- Toronto 23 reviews, 3 photos
- New York City 10 reviews, 1 photo
- Vancouver 5 reviews, 3 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
- Gyeongbokgung Palace- 93 Reviews, 220 Photos
- Namsan (South Mountain) and Seoul Tower- 68 Reviews, 166 Photos
- DMZ - DeMilitarized Zone - Tours- 59 Reviews, 153 Photos
- Insa-dong- 38 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Korea House & Namsan Hanok Folk Village- 59 Reviews, 119 Photos
- Itaewon Tourist Zone- 20 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Lotte World- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Deoksugung Palace- 44 Reviews, 103 Photos
- Changdeokgung Palace- 34 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Everland Resort- 21 Reviews, 56 Photos
See All Seoul Things to Do