"Welcome To Tsukuba Science City" Top 5 Page for this destination Tsukuba by torototammy

Tsukuba Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 273 photos

Where Is Tsukuba Anyway??

"Tsukuba-Science-City" is the city I livenow. I moved to this area since I got my job after comig back from Canada. Until then, I had heard the name but didn't know exactly where it is. I only remembered visiting the science expo in 1985 with some other kids.

Not like most of the cities in Japan, there had been NO train stations here.
That was really critical for me. I believed I could go anywhre in Japan using railways. I even didn't have my drivers lisence. I thought I could get another job in Tokyo again someday.

Well, I adjust myself to the life in Tsukuba. Got my drivers lisence, take a highway bus to Tokyo, hang out with my local friends...and settled down with my Ibaraki-born husband!

THE CITY IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT!!

Tsukuba Express(TX), the railway we've been waiting for is finally opening this August. It will connect Tsukuba, Ibaraki and Akihabara, Tokyo. Directly from the science city to the mecca of geeks(akiba-kei otaku), it'll take 45 minutes train ride.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::The Location::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The city is located in the southwestern part of Ibaraki Prefecture.
It is situated approximately 50 km in southwest of Mito City,the capital of the prefecture, approximately 50 km in northeast of the capital Tokyo and approximately 40 km in northwest of New Tokyo International Airport (Narita City).
The city has an extended shape in north-south direction, that measures 25.4 km in width and 14.9 km in length. It's area being 259.59km2, this is the second largest city in the prefecture.

Tsukuba Park Avenue

OK, Tsukuba IS a large city(geographically). Basically you need a car to go to work, school and shopping. Major streets are wide and crazy drivers go faster than 80km/h. For bikers and pedestrians, there is a nice road called "Tsukuba Park Avenue".
It runs in north-south direction from University Of Tsukuba to Akatuka Park.
Park Avenue itself is like a park but it joints some parks and public buildings like Epochal(Tsukuba International Congress Center),Tsukuba Center Building, public library, Expo Center ...and University of Tsukuba.

Take a walk or go biking parks to parks on this lovely road.

Mt. Tsukuba

Mt. Tsukuba lies to the north of "Gakuen" (science city) area. It takes about 30 minutes by car from Tsukuba Center.

My friends and I took a budget trip there by Nori-nori bus(see my transportaion tip). Check out my travelogue.

• Pros:spacious, lots of green, super intelligent people
  • Cons:poor public transportation, super nurdy people
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2005

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM

hello, thanks for the wonderful page. its hard to find info on Ibaraki-ken. I will come to Tsukuba in October to visit.

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2006 at 3:58 AM

Hello from Sweden. You have an interesting hometown and a pretty family! :) Great tips! Thank you for sharing!

• stonefree's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 4:53 PM

Happy Birthday TX! Complete the tip!!! ; P

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 3:13 PM

Sounds interesting, very Japanese. Is it near Tokushima? I think I would like a city like this more than Tokyo. All the best.

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 12:38 AM

Very nice page of your hometown, greetings Alphons...

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2004 at 10:53 AM

Seems like a great place, i would love to go there! Greetings from Norway... :)

• adventerrtravel22's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2004 at 7:48 PM

Nice tips on the restaurants and good information ofn your pages. Happy traveling. : - )

• RoseAmano's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 5:35 AM

Hi! It's been awhile since my last visit to Tsukuba.. a ways into Tokyo, no? Looking forward to the VT meet as well!

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2004 at 10:07 AM

I envy you, that you can see it. i hope, I will, too, sometimes. Greetings from switzerland!

• Christophe_Ons's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2004 at 5:07 PM

Looks a bit desolate... interesting place. As you pointed out, hard to believe there's no railway station in a Japanese city ! Thanks for sharing.

Badges & Stats in Tsukuba

Have you been to Tsukuba?

Latest Activity in Tsukuba