"Wheat, Potato, Flowers" Biei by akikonomu
Biei Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 20 photos
A visit to Biei is never complete without cycling through the area. There are two main routes - Patchwork Road and Panaroma Road where sights of rolling fields are aplenty.
A word of warning - some of the paths are very steep so going downhill requires precaution and going up requires lots of energy.
If you're not well trained, I'd suggest renting a motorised bicycle. Although the rental fees are high, at least you will enjoy the route. I'd rather be concentrating on the sceneary than the next challenging slope.
I took the Panaroma route. With a motorised bicycle and pitstops, I only managed to cover two sights (Shikisai no oka and Shinei no oka)of interest in about 3 1/2 hours. This includes making many small pitstops along the way to snap pictures.
The former boosts beautiful flowers maintained in a farmlike environment. There is no entrance fees and donations for the maintenance of the flowers are appreciated.
The latter gives a good view of the surroundings.
The rolling fields are mostly planted with beer wheat, potato and yam. The flowering potato and yam plants create beautiful sights.
The beer wheat's yellow contrasted with the white and purple flowers are a sight.
Took the Patchwork Road this time round via car. Can't exactly do a comparison since it has been 5 years apart. Along the way, we enjoyed making pitstops at the resting stations - each resting station sells different snacks, some of which are really good (like wasabi pumpkin seeds), parks with panaromic views of the area and of course, rustic restaurants.
All around Biei and along the highway between Biei and Furano, you can find shops selling local produce. Melons, which... more travel advice
Deliberating whether this should be a restaurant or off the beaten track tip - think latter's more appropriate. The cafe... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Biei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wheat, Potato, Flowers"
- "Furano and Biei Regions"
- "Biei is known for its scenic beauty."
- "The hills of patchwork"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Biei
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Biei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biei
Photos in BieiSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue