"Southern Hokkaido" Hakodate by akikonomu
Hakodate Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 245 photos
The first impression when you head into the harbour area of Hakodate is that it resembles some old European colonial city rather than a Japanese city. The town centre lacks tall, crowded buildings despite being the third largest city in Hokkaido.
Various churches and European style embassies dot the slopped area where you can also find old shrines, wooden houses in typical Japanese architectural styles and modern pensions. Strange hodge podge of influences...
Being a harbour city, there are plenty of seafood wholesalers and restaurants in Hakodate. Yet, in the city centre, European influenced cafes selling well crafted desserts, burgers and Western meals are aplenty. You do not need to worry about not being able to find good food here.
Apparently, Hakodate hill boasts one of the best night views in the whole of Japan. Pictures in guide books seem to corroborate with the claims. But when we were there, it was foggy and there is no night view to speak of. Guess we don't get to see the best of everything in a single trip.
- Pros:Plenty to see and experience
Enroute to Hakodate (less than an hours' car drive North of Hakodate), you can swing by to the Onuma park. It's somewhat... more travel advice
The Bay area is lit up at night and makes for a good walk - however, don't expect restaurants to open til late. Still,... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Hakodate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hakodate 2005"
- "Southern Hokkaido"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hakodate
- Hotels in Hakodate
- Transportation in Hakodate
- Nightlife in Hakodate
- Restaurants in Hakodate
- Shopping in Hakodate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hakodate
- 8 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Hakodate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hakodate
Photos in HakodateSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue