"Lasting impressions" Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa by akikonomu
Kanazawa Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 370 photos
Amongst the places I visited during this trip, Takayama and Gokayama grabbed most of my attention for its peaceful environs. Yet on thinking back, Kanazawa posseses many little memorable stuff that slowly grows on you as you reminisce - the peaceful walk through the Higashi and Nishi chaya district with its old geisha houses and gold leaf shops; delectable dessert in the downtown shopping area; ancient samurai district hidden right behind the modern street selling the aforementioned delectable dessert; the quirky Myoryuji (ninja-dera) and even the shopping arcade near the train station.
Very much alike Kyoto, the modern facade of the city disguises remnants of old Japan. It's not difficult to turn the corner and find yourself wandering down narrow streets lined with old teahouses or temples, something you would not have expected as the cars zoom past behind you on the main roads.
Although downtown traffic can be pretty chaotic, you can easily find quiet solitude at the streets a short walk away from the main road. This is especially so for the Teramachi samurai district.
Kenrokuen is highly lauded as one of the best gardens in Japan - I can't exactly figure out why but the sprawling grounds also make for a peaceful stroll. Enjoying green tea and a small snack at the teahouse seems somewhat kitsch but makes for a good rest.
Around many tourist spots in Kanazawa, you would find signboards advising us to be responsible smokers or not to smoke.... more travel advice
Kanazawa has many traditional teahouses where you could enjoy green tea and sweet in a tatami room. Inside Kenroku-en,... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Kanazawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "金沢 The Golden Swamp"
- "Lasting impressions"
- "Snow City Kanazawa"
- "An alternative to temples in Japan"
- "Beautiful place, but...."
- "Kanazawa, my 2nd hometown is a sentimental city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kanazawa
- Hotels in Kanazawa
- Transportation in Kanazawa
- Nightlife in Kanazawa
- Restaurants in Kanazawa
- Shopping in Kanazawa
- Warnings and Dangers in Kanazawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kanazawa
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Kanazawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kanazawa
Photos in KanazawaSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue