"For the sake of the Ainus" Shiraoi by akikonomu
Shiraoi Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos
Shiraoi is a 2 hour bus ride from Sapporo and along the way, you'll pass by many desolate looking towns, the beautiful sea and the most beautiful horse ranch I've ever imagined existed.
Enroute from Tomakomai to Shiraoi, there is a horse ranch with horses grazing on green pastures with low stiles and right by the sea. Fantastic scenery!!
Shiraoi is supposedly the largest settlement of Ainus - the indigenous people of Hokkaido.
My only purpose of coming out here was to visit the Poroto Kotan (Ainu village). I'm not too sure many will find the long journey worthwhile, but I did.
- Pros:Best and possibly only place to find out more about the Ainus
- Cons:Out of the way
- In a nutshell:For the sake of the Ainus
akikonomu's Related Pages
Shiraoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of the old indigenous of Hokkaido"
- "For the sake of the Ainus"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shiraoi
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Shiraoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shiraoi
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue