"Touristy Onsen Town or Serene Relaxation Spot" Toya-ko by akikonomu
Toya-ko Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 24 photos
The Toya Lake Region make up one of the National Park sights in the Central region of Hokkaido (the other being Shikotsu-ko). Being a popular onsen town, where many large onsen hotels are gathered around the rim of the lake, it means convenience and also the madding crowd.
The good thing about being there in mid June meant that preparation for summer activities has begun (such as nightly display of fireworks over the lake) without the full force of the summer crowd.
We were after all greeted with drizzles and some beastly gust of cold winds.
If you like onsens (which I absolutely love), check into one of the rooms overlooking the lake. Most of the hotels place the women's onsen strategically such that they overlook the lake. It is fantastic to get an early morning soak whilst watching the morning mist settling over the lake.
There are also foot and hand baths along the way where you could soak your weary feet in free footbaths. Bring a towel along though.
Toya is really meant for relaxation. If you expect to find great shopping or a great variety of activities, you may be a little disappointed. Of course, you could walk and hike around the lake (which is no simple feat considering the size of the area). If not, slack around in the onsens, take slow walks around the lake and enjoy a cruise to an island or two.
- Pros:Good for relaxing if you go at the correct time
- Cons:Onsen hotel area can be quite characterless
Cruise to the island where you can do a short walk around it. Aboard the cruise ship, look out for deers grazing along... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Toya-ko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lake Toya"
- "Touristy Onsen Town or Serene Relaxation Spot"
- "Lake Toya - Crater lake"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toya-ko
- 3 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Toya-ko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toya-ko
Photos in Toya-koSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue