"Wakkanai" Wakkanai by akikonomu

Wakkanai Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos

I don't know?

The guide books amused me when they mentioned that Wakkanai sounded much like the slang for "I don't know" in Japanese.

The reality of the joke starts setting in when travellers I met in Hokkaido looked at me strangely when they asked me where I had been and I answered "Wakkanai".

Being Japan's Northernmost town, Wakkanai port is also the jumping board to the neighbouring islands of Rebun and Rishiri, as well as to Sakhalin of Russia (so exotic to me).

Town

Wakkanai town itself is not lauded in many guidebooks though I found it interesting enough for the 3 days I was there.

Besides seeing all kinds of flowers sprouting all over the place, it is also a decent enough town to buy your Northern souvenirs, and taste delicious seafood (especially sea urchin).

The sea urchin is orangey in colour and has the fresh taste of the sea - abosolutely heavenly.

Capes and Sea

From Wakkanai, it is possible to visit the Northern most point in the whole of Japan (Soya Misaki) as well as Noshyappu Misaki and Wakkanai park which gives a view of Wakkanai and the sea.

Misaki = cape

• Last visit to Wakkanai: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2004

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Nice page. Hoping to get up there one day on route to Sakhalin which I have been meaning to visit for a while.

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2006 at 7:19 AM

Great tips! Lovely photos. Will be back to read some more!! Greetings from Sweden! :)

• tabibito-x's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 9:44 AM

Thanks for the interesting pages about .... well ... wakkanai (samui). I'm heading there in August for some hiking ... someone has to hold me back not to swim to Russia since I miss Russia a lot, too...

• kenmerk's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 12:41 AM

Doko e iku ? Wakkanai !

akikonomu

“I will travel 'til I can no more”

Badges & Stats in Wakkanai

Have you been to Wakkanai?

Latest Activity in Wakkanai