"Wakkanai" Wakkanai by akikonomu
Wakkanai Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 27 photos
The guide books amused me when they mentioned that Wakkanai sounded much like the slang for "I don't know" in Japanese.
The reality of the joke starts setting in when travellers I met in Hokkaido looked at me strangely when they asked me where I had been and I answered "Wakkanai".
Being Japan's Northernmost town, Wakkanai port is also the jumping board to the neighbouring islands of Rebun and Rishiri, as well as to Sakhalin of Russia (so exotic to me).
Wakkanai town itself is not lauded in many guidebooks though I found it interesting enough for the 3 days I was there.
Besides seeing all kinds of flowers sprouting all over the place, it is also a decent enough town to buy your Northern souvenirs, and taste delicious seafood (especially sea urchin).
The sea urchin is orangey in colour and has the fresh taste of the sea - abosolutely heavenly.
From Wakkanai, it is possible to visit the Northern most point in the whole of Japan (Soya Misaki) as well as Noshyappu Misaki and Wakkanai park which gives a view of Wakkanai and the sea.
Misaki = cape
Situated at Noshyappu Misaki, it is a small plot of land with a dolphin statue. A short walk away, there is a aquarium... more travel advice
In Wakkanai and some of the towns I passed through enroute to Asahikawa, I saw many roadside planters full of attractive... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Wakkanai Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wakkanai
- Restaurants in Wakkanai
- Warnings and Dangers in Wakkanai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wakkanai
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Wakkanai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wakkanai
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue