"J'adore Paris" Paris by akikonomu
Paris Travel Guide: 22,167 reviews and 53,887 photos
Paris was the very first city I visited in Europe and I haven't yet found another city to match it. Well, maybe Kyoto of Japan...
We bought a 2 day consecutive metro pass, and looking back, we needn't.
To truly enjoy Paris, take slow strolls around each quarter (or arrondisement). Half a day flies by. By the time you're done with a quarter, you realise that you've entered the next, all by foot!!
There's just so much to see. Roadside cafes and grocery stores, parks and gardens, museums, churches, interesting archtitecture, all layered into one quarter.
Walking sometimes pushes you into alleys you'd never have listed in your "To Visit" list. Or perhaps you'll chance upon an interesting restaurant or structure. There's always something interesting in every nook and cranny of a foreign land and walking's the best way to discover them.
I simply loved the gardens (J'ardin du Luxembourg, Tuileries) especially where the white tulips in full bloom accentuated by small purple flowers were a sight to behold. Statues amid well tended flowerbeds - a piece of art in its own right.
It was drizzling when we visited the gardens. But our experience was not marred - simply because the flowers were too beautiful.
Passed by a flower market along the Seine but the beauty of the flowers was diminished by the untidy arrangements of pots and soil and other gardening tools. To top it off, it was raining and the slush around us didn't make the market so attractive. Hmmm, I guess I can't complain.
The Louvre was massive and I should have spent at least a day there, instead of one evening.
Everyone was crowding around the Mona Lisa, and I caught a glimpse of ... the frame. There are many other artworks that may not be so famous but just as interesting, if not more.
I had already gathered that I'll be back in Paris one day. And on that one day, I'll make sure I get to see the Mona Lisa in her smiling glory.
We visited other predictable sites like Monsieur Eiffel's creation - the snake like queue discouraged us from ascending the tower and the Champ Elysees - check out the stamp market in the vicinity. But I much preferred the aimless rambling along the streets of Paris.
- Pros:Beautiful gardens, wonderful museums
- Cons:Nationalistic pride - prepare to be snubbed if you utter "Parlez vous Anglaise?"
- In a nutshell:Beauty in its full glory!
Popped in because I was trying to avoid the rain, even though I remained quite neutral towards the art of Dali. But I... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (1)
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- Beausejour Montmartre
- 72 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- La Vie en Rose
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel De Chateaudun
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Hotel Windsor Opera
- 153 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Etap Hotel Paris Porte De Pantin
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- 3 Ducks Hostel
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 31, 2012
- Logis De France Britannia
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 10, 2013
- Hotel Liege Strasbourg
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hotel Eugenie
- 98 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel Royal Opera
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Le Central
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2012
- Novotel Paris La Defense
- 246 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Aero Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 24, 2012
- Hotel Bastille De Launay
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013