"Capital of Vietnam" Hanoi by akikonomu
Hanoi Travel Guide: 2,833 reviews and 6,249 photos
I've never thought much of South East Asian cities except that it's a jumping board for more adventurous destinations to the countries, and where all the facilities are.
There's always this sense of chaos (especially traffic) and competitiveness since most people from all parts of the country tend to flock to cities for better opportunities and wealth.
And of course, that's where all the last minute shopping will take place. Then, again, that's my perspective.
I don't exactly think Hanoi is a good place to be during the summer. Friend and I were exhausted from the high humidity and felt suffocated most of the times. There was always this film of sweat and moisture hanging around us, making us irritable and immobile.
To be fair, Hanoi's street scenes are vibrant and most of the people we met were kind and polite to us. And it's a fantastic place to try out local cuisine. Not too worried about hygiene of most roadside stalls - they all look decently clean.
French influence is still alive in Hanoi - restaurant menus and tours catered for French, French architecture in the Old Quarter and especially French Quarter. Even the water puppet theatre comes with French commentary.
So if you have sudden cravings for pastries, baguette or French cuisine, just head out around Hoan Kiem lake where patisseries and ice cream parlours abound.
If you decide to trick yourself into thinking you are in France, head to the Opera house area in the French Quarter.
But do not be deceived to think that there is no piece of Vietnam in Hanoi. Head right back into the alleys of the Old Quarter where locals squat for their daily dose of pho and tra or where hawkers hawk their fruits and flowers from baskets hanging from their shoulders, complete with the trademark conical hats.
- In a nutshell:Traces of Indochine remains
Fried fish and vegetables simmering before you over a charcoal stove and eaten with the chewy noodles. Taste ok with... more travel advice
Fancy what Chinese cuisine is made up of, albeit Vietnamese style? Check out Pho Lan Ong in the Old Quarter. You will... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Hanoi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Adventure Continues in Hanoi ! Hanoi !"
- "Good morning Hanoi !"
- "Hanoi - City of the Soaring Dragon"
- "Hanoi - City of Absorbing Sights and Sounds"
- "MY 1ST STOP IN VIETNAM WAS......................."
- "Ignoring Hanoi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hanoi
- Hotels in Hanoi
- Transportation in Hanoi
- Nightlife in Hanoi
- Restaurants in Hanoi
- Shopping in Hanoi
- Warnings and Dangers in Hanoi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hanoi
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Hanoi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hanoi
Photos in HanoiSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue