"Our Base for Chateau Hopping in the Loire" Tours by akikonomu
Tours Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
Tours is a friendly little town. It's a short TGV ride from Paris and makes a good base for visiting the chateaus in the Loire valley.
Upon arrival at the train station, we approached the friendly staff at the tourist info counter and booked our hotel (Hotel du Cygne), as well as the guides for chateau hopping.
We picked up a guide service with a sweet man called Pascal Accolay and his mini van, as well as one with the major bus company.
The family of the Hotel du Cygne was warm and helpful. Although the grandmama spoke no English and we spoke no French, she never lost her patience with us and got us help from the Chinese (or was it Vietnamese) owner of the restaurant just across the street.
If you're wondering where to visit in the Loire and how to go about it, the family's more than willing to help you.
Tours itself has a chateau, and is excellent for walking around aimlessly.
The chateau is situated at a cross road and didn't look particularly interesting with cars whizzing past it. The river is also within walking distance from the chateau.
Go stare at the spires of the Cathedral St Gatien on a clear, windy day with some clouds.
After a while, the cathedral seem to be falling on you. The result of a visual illusion.
I did not explore Tours extensively so there aren't many quirks to share about the town. However, it's a refreshing place to be in with its relatively slow pace of life and friendly residents.
- Pros:Excellent for chateau hopping
akikonomu's Related Pages
Tours Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tours
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Tours?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tours
Photos in ToursSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue