"Oldest group of temples" Phumi Roluos by akikonomu
Phumi Roluos Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
The Rolous group of temples were the earliest temples built in the Angkor region during the years 877-910.
The Bakong, Preah Ko and Lolei belong to the Rolous group of temples.
We only visited the former 2 temples in the late afternoon. As most of the Angkor temples are built facing the east, it is a good thing to consider which gate to enter from during different times of the day so as to travel with the sun behind you rather than in your eyes.
This is also a concern for photography.
The temples do not have a lot of sophisticated carvings and is in a relatively spartan state.
At the time of visit, Preah Ko's shrines were undergoing restoration.
However, Bakong has a relatively interesting exterior, with elephant statues placed at the corners of stepped terraces.
Along with stone lions and naga balustrades, Bakong is a rather impressive temple.
Another good thing was that the temples are not as crowded as the more popular ones like the Bayon, Angkor Wat or Ta Prohm.
However, as there isn't really much interior to explore, expect yourself to be under the hot sun all the time.
- In a nutshell:See the earliest temples
Bakong was built to represent the mythical Mt Meru and has interesting terraces with elephant statues looking out from... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Phumi Roluos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oldest group of temples"
- "Lovely Roluos Town"
- "the Roluos Group"
- "Preah Ko"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phumi Roluos
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Phumi Roluos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phumi Roluos
Photos in Phumi RoluosSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue