"Rural Taiwan" Nan-t'ou by akikonomu
Nan-t'ou Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 513 photos
Lying in the "mid-West" of Taiwan, Nantou is a largely agricultural area with beautiful hills, streams and farms. Some of the important crops in this area include fruits like betel nuts, kyoho grapes, tomatoes, pears and plum.
I have always thought that kyoho grapes are a specialty of Japan and was very pleased to find cheap and abundant supply right smack in Taiwan. Plum, plum wine and plum snacks are also a specialty of the region.
At one of the plum "factory" we visited, we were introduced to the aborogines of the region, their culture, lifestyle and how they are being integrated into mainstream society now.
As Nantou is flanked by the central mountains of Taiwan, it an extremely fertile region with abundant natural resources. And it is this greenery that has resulted in the numerous nicknames the Portugese and Chinese emperors of the past have labelled Taiwan with.
Apart from the rich natural resources, Nantou is also home to many natural hotsprings. Our tour took us to a hotspring hotel located high in the mountains. All around, natural sights surrounded the hotel and drawbridges suspended across deep gorges dot the landscape.
In addition, traces of Japan's past colonialisation remain widely untouched in many small towns and villages around Nantou. Hotspring towns with cobbled streets; quaint train stations with Japanese influenced architecture and signboards; highways cut into mountains serve as a reminder of Japan's presence in Taiwan.
This is quite a refreshing change from the city life in the major cities of Taipei, Taichung and Kaoshiung which we also visited.
A pretty nice scenic area where you could have meals in restaurants overlooking the lakes or take a cruise of the lake.... more travel advice
Whilst some may consider this a tourist trap - it's one of those tourist shops guides bring you to - I pretty liked this... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Nan-t'ou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nantou County (南投縣)"
- "A Rugged Terrain"
- "Nan-tou (chinese: «n§ë¿¤¥«)"
- "Slychen's Nan-t'ou Page"
- "Nantou County"
- "Rural Taiwan"
- "nantou - famous for the sun moon lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nan-t'ou
- Hotels in Nan-t'ou
- Transportation in Nan-t'ou
- Restaurants in Nan-t'ou
- Warnings and Dangers in Nan-t'ou
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nan-t'ou
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Nan-t'ou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nan-t'ou
Photos in Nan-t'ouSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue