"The Traditional South" Andong by akikonomu
Andong Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 50 photos
If you wanted to experience the traditional culture of Korea, go South (Gyeongju, Andong). Although you may watch that traditional dance performance in Seoul, the South has that preserved surroundings of the old world.
Think archaelogical remains, traditional houses, wild nature.
Certain parts of Andong town has that sad mixture of a place that tried to develop into a modern economy but ended giving up - cum - in the process, marring the landscape with ugly modern buildings against traditional architecture.
Hence, the necessity to get out of town, away from the dusty streets and GDR-reminiscent apartments, into the rural surroundings where the old world has retained much of its charm.
Without your own transport, you could visit the numerous sights around Andong town albeit at a slower pace. I guess many would have mocked my choice of going to Andong, only to stay two days in a cut-off village and not experiencing the Hahoe Maeul Village etc.
Chose to "distance" myself from the outside world and bum around in the Jirye Artist Village, 45 minutes away from town and situated in the wilderness. If I experienced anything, it was the feel good factor of not needing to do anything in a serene place. My travelogue may turn out to be some "promotional" article of sorts but my intention is just to document my preferred experience for bumming of late (haha).
45 minutes away from downtown Andong, Jirye village serves as a point of interest and you are also able to stay there.... more travel advice
akikonomu's Related Pages
Andong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Traditional Folk"
- "History Heaven in Andong!"
- "Andong - City of Culture"
- "The Traditional South"
- "Andong and Hahoe village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Andong
- Hotels in Andong
- Transportation in Andong
- Nightlife in Andong
- Restaurants in Andong
- Shopping in Andong
- Warnings and Dangers in Andong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Andong
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Andong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Andong
Photos in AndongSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 21 reviews, 56 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sa Pa Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ruines d' Angkor Intro, 13 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 15 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rangoon Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kunming Intro, 12 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanazawa Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos
- Hakodate Intro, 8 reviews, 21 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue