"The Traditional South" Andong by akikonomu

Andong Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 50 photos

If you wanted to experience the traditional culture of Korea, go South (Gyeongju, Andong). Although you may watch that traditional dance performance in Seoul, the South has that preserved surroundings of the old world.

Think archaelogical remains, traditional houses, wild nature.

Certain parts of Andong town has that sad mixture of a place that tried to develop into a modern economy but ended giving up - cum - in the process, marring the landscape with ugly modern buildings against traditional architecture.

Hence, the necessity to get out of town, away from the dusty streets and GDR-reminiscent apartments, into the rural surroundings where the old world has retained much of its charm.

Without your own transport, you could visit the numerous sights around Andong town albeit at a slower pace. I guess many would have mocked my choice of going to Andong, only to stay two days in a cut-off village and not experiencing the Hahoe Maeul Village etc.

Chose to "distance" myself from the outside world and bum around in the Jirye Artist Village, 45 minutes away from town and situated in the wilderness. If I experienced anything, it was the feel good factor of not needing to do anything in a serene place. My travelogue may turn out to be some "promotional" article of sorts but my intention is just to document my preferred experience for bumming of late (haha).

• Last visit to Andong: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2006

akikonomu

“I will travel 'til I can no more”

Badges & Stats in Andong