"Pulau Dayang" Pulau Dayang by yinghaw

Pulau Dayang Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 127 photos

Pulau Dayang Beautiful Island

One of the most beautiful Island in Malaysia. It has white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, and great views. It is still not too exploited yet, you can still see very healthy corals, many variety of fishes and marine life.

Dayang Beach

This is the most relaxing place I could find on the Island. After 2 days of diving the best is have a cool drink and laying on a hammock.

November 13-15, 2004. The Hunt for Ghost Pipe Fish

I don’t have my camera with me this time, and every time when this happens, I would really wish I had my camera with me. Those exotic marine lives like the Harlequin Ghost Pipe Fish were not meant to be taken by my camera; yes, we saw it at Dayang. We also saw plenty of Nudibranch that I have never seen before, school of Travely, Rainbow Runners, big Yellow Tail Barracuda (about 1-1.2m), and many more.

The most happening dive site in this trip I would say was at the Captain’s Point. On the trip alone we dived at least 4 times, we even did a night dive there. Pulau Lang was exciting as well, we saw school of Travely swimming around and around, it was so breath taking. The visibility was really nice as well, I think we could get around 15m of visibility. Plus there were School of Rainbow Runners, School of huge Yellow Tail Barracuda. The normal barracuda we usually see were the juvenile, this time the big guys were there and they were huge. At Pulau Lang, this is the first time I see Emperor Angel Fish here at Dayang, the Angel Fish we usually see are the Six Banded and Blue Ring. The Emperor Angel Fish was so beautiful and they were just swimming just next to me and staring at me, if only I had my camera. Batangas Halgerda, a species of Nudibranch that I had never seen before was also sighted at Pulau Lang.

The mission of this trip was to find the exotic Harlequin Ghost Pipe Fish. The last time my instructor saw it was at Rayner’s Rock. We went to Rayner’s Rock 2 times just to look for that fish. We went really deep, first time we went to 32m but no luck, the second time we went all the way to 45m. We were swimming deeper and deeper towards the East from Rayner’s Rock, as we passed 40m my computer was already making noises, of course we went into a deco dive. As we were searching and searching, there’s nothing left to be seen already at 45m, we turned back at the point we saw the last yellow sponge coral. The Harlequin Ghost Pipe Fish were not found there. The price to pay for diving at 45m was to make a 25minutes safety stop. Boy it was boring, 25 minutes was longer than I thought, now I can understand why they invented gadgets like underwater MP3 players. At the end of the dive, I had only 25bar of air left in my tank and we were underwater for 70minutes. A great experience, now I am more prepared to dive a deep wreck with normal air. Although we didn’t find the Ghost Pipe Fish, but we saw some really nice Nudibranch like the Woodward’s Chromodoris and the Triton Chromodoris, Bumped Head Parrot Fish about 1.2m in length, Tiger Travely ( Gold body with broad black strips).

The last dive of the trip, we decided to go to Captain’s Point 1 more time, and we have agreed not to go into deco dive. According to my dive computer, at 30m, we could only stay for 6 minutes. As we dive to 32m, the number of a non-deco dive was running down, I ascended to shallower to 20m and then 15m, just to prevent from going into deco. Suddenly, I heard my instructor’s tank banger, he saw something at around 20m, immediately I swam down and saw only a big Porcupine Fish, and its head was so big the diameter was around 28cm. Great a big Porcupine Fish but this was not worth to get into deco dive, so I went back to 15m. Again, I heard the tank banger again, for some reason I had a very strange feeling that it must be the Ghost Pipe Fish, I had no doubt in that. I quickly swam down to 20m again and there they were 2 Harlequin Ghost Pipe Fish hanging around sea grass. The big one was around 6-7cm and the smaller one was around 5cm. We stayed there just looking at them and played with them a little bit for about 10minutes, and yes it was another deco dive. The feeling was great. Our mission was accomplished at the last minutes of the trip. In my mind I was thinking, do they make an MP3 players that could go all the way to 60m?

• Pros:Great Place for diving, it can be really exciting if you are advanturous
  • Cons:No luxuries available.
  • In a nutshell:A place that make you come back for more
  • Last visit to Pulau Dayang: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2004

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2005 at 1:41 AM

Wow, your underwater shots are incredible. Love the shot of the squid grabbing the fish and the twin bat fish.

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 7:57 PM

Dive at Rayner's Rock is amazing. Spotting school of Barracuda at Dayang is almost a certainty.

• diver-x's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2004 at 5:20 PM

Great page! Malaysia is on my diving wish list. Thanks for the tips!

• elainetan7906's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2004 at 7:07 PM

wah!!!!!!!!! very nice e picture ye... cant wait to the april dayang trip... do anyone out there confuse why we love dayang so much??? ha!!!

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2004 at 4:12 AM

oh WOW .. very the FABULOUS pictures !!!!! Makes me want to dive even more :-))

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2004 at 4:02 AM

Maybe being so popular isn't a disadvantage ...it's calmer for the people wha stay there. nice page. frank.

• nellie09's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2004 at 4:18 AM

hello!!! Dayang here we cone in March!!! elaine & YH, pls go make appt with Manta ya!!! make sure we arent on e same boat as them this time round!!! Ü

• ngsway's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2004 at 5:34 PM

Wow, the squid and nudibranch are so special. Lucky you!

• dylan28's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2004 at 5:20 PM

aiyo kawan..... why i have to miss all the fun and ish that u have...nice pic u take...and the big nudibranch u c.how i wish i was there to do the night dive.

yinghaw

“It's an open road ahead, what are you waiting for?”

Badges & Stats in Pulau Dayang

Have you been to Pulau Dayang?

Latest Activity in Pulau Dayang