"ORURO THE CAPITAL OF THE FOLKLORE OF BOLIVIA" Oruro by marcelo15
Oruro Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 110 photos
You can´t imagine how much i really love Oruro. It´s definitely the smallest cities of Bolivia. it´s turbulent change has affected to Oruro so much. In the past Oruro used to support all the other cities in bolivia. From Oruro a lot of people exploted some minerals. Now, Oruro is a poor, poor city.
There are not so many tourist who go there to visit.
But, one thing is so important to say. Oruro was declarated as a city of humanity patrimonial by the UNESCO.
There is no better place in bolivia to celebrate the carneval than ORURO. thousand of thousand people come to Oruro to dance, to participate in such an event in honor of the VIRGEN DEL SOCABON.
please, check our my travelogues down, i you will see more or less what i mean...so that´s why Oruro is one of my favorite cities.
My eternal thanks to Oruro and its inhabitants who, still fight for living there, in spite of the bad moments that it´s been hitting..
Last week (november 06), i was there again. this time driving with my family....
COME ON ORURO..YOU WILL BE IN MY BEST MEMORIES FOREVER....
The city of Oruro, also capital of the department, is located on the central altiplano on 3706m. over the sea level. Because its geographical situation. Oruro has always a cold climate with an average of 9c.
It is neurogycal center for road and railway communications system, connecting the most important points of Bolivia. Also is an important mining district (lead, silver and antimony), basing its economy.
The principal mines are San Jose and Machacamarca.
The native settlement of the ancient civilization URU URU, well known by its ceramic development, was baptized by Don Francisco de Medrano with the name of "Villa San Miguel de Oruro" in 1548.
Don Manuel Castro de Padilla, a learned judge of the audiencia of Charcas, on november 1606, founded the Royal Village of San Felipe de Austria, based on the settlement of San Miguel de Oruro.
Later Don Sebastian Pagador lead a revolt against Spain of february 10th, 1781 claiming its independece. Finally on september 5th, 1826 during the presidency of General, Antonio Jose de Sucre, the Oruro department was created.
- In a nutshell:"ORURO TIERRA DE AMOR...Y DE CARNAVAL"
marcelo15's Related Pages
Oruro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Altiplano"
- "ORURO THE CAPITAL OF THE FOLKLORE OF BOLIVIA"
- "Fleeting Visit"
- "A Picture of Oruro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oruro
- Transportation in Oruro
- Nightlife in Oruro
- Shopping in Oruro
- Warnings and Dangers in Oruro
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oruro
- 11 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Oruro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oruro
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination La Paz Intro, 43 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uyuni Intro, 27 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 14 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Copacabana Intro, 21 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 21 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oruro Intro, 11 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bolivia Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potosí Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Machu Picchu Intro, 11 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Isla del Sol Intro, 7 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues