"IT COSTS A POTOSI!!!" Top 5 Page for this destination Potosí by marcelo15

Potosí Travel Guide: 124 reviews and 351 photos

VALE UN POTOSI!!!

Potosi, is the highest city in the world 4020 over the sea level.
It has a lot of memories, since the discover of a great amount of silver by an indian named Diego Huallpa, the Rich Mountain, until its decadence.
yeah, this city was the most important city in the world. Some people tell us that Potosi was more crowded than London. also, that the Spanish conquerours found so much silver that they could built a bridge from Potosi to London. Can you believe that?

So this city was be able to support the economy to the other cities of Bolivia.
Mmm... folks what i saw today (02/07/04) was amazing. at the same time it really made me sad. because i had the great change to see how the miners work into the mines. I invite you to see it in my tip of THINGS TO DO. After seeing them working in that conditions, I`m sure that you`ll aprecciate more your job.
Nowadays, Potosi is the poorest city of Bolivia.
The economy from Potosi just keep working from the minerals that still exists (complejo, or complex), also from the little tourists that visit this amazing city.
Potosi, is really interesting, even for me that i`m bolivian. because i saw extraordinary narrow streets very colonial that relive the past. The mountain (Rich Mountain), the Money House. Folks all of this attractions are waiting for you...believe me it won`t let you down.
Latest news:Thanks to a vt friend i `ve just noticed about a wonderful movie about a typical family in POTOSI...from now this is one of my wishes to watch this movie...well i`ll try to get the cd as soon as i can...by the moment i just know the web site. which is: ("THE DEVIL`S MINER").

A good friend that I`ve met in Potosi

Yeah, so far this is one of my best meetings that i`ve done. A had the great change to meet Efrain, who guided me when i did the tour of the mines, and also he has worked for eight years in the mines. And of course i enjoyed a lot the tour and his friendship.
Amigo Efrain, i won`t be able to forgive you!!! QUE VIVAS POR MUCHO TIEMPO MI HERMANO!!!

EL TIO...

When the miners are into the mine, their divinity is the devil ( better known as el tio). ountside they believe in God as some of us.
This picture was taken into the mine, where you can see a museum as a good attraction.

• Pros:beautiful colonial houses, churches amazing people.
  • Cons:what? perhaps the cold, but who cares!!!
  • In a nutshell:VIVA MI POTOSI...Defintely i`ll be back!!!!
  • Last visit to Potosí: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2007

• zampieri's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Great pages Marcelo, you get all the information about Bolivia, very helpful and interesting

• zampieri's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Potosi will be one of my next places I want to visit

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 3:46 AM

La visita a la mina es algo realmente impresionante

• ChuckG's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 11:06 PM

Thanks for the great tips marcelo, I saw the movie "The Devil's Miner" yesterday and it really made me feel like I was in Potosi for an hour. The miner's life is unbelievable and deeply moving

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2006 at 1:22 AM

Hola Marcelo! Una pagina muy buena de potosi. Algun dia espero visitarlo. Fleiz cumpleaños desde Finlandia!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2005 at 1:08 PM

it's seems like i have to include Potosi in my travel plans;do many tourists go there?

• zizu's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 2:33 AM

me ha encantado tu página sobre Potosí. Vaya vueltas ke da la vida. Un saludo desde Euskadi

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2004 at 3:49 PM

oh yes it has been very, very cold at nite in Potosi and no hot showers....we survived, just ^..^ good to see the Town moved on, lovely Hostel there. tkas for sharing Marcelo

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 10:21 AM

Great page! It's always good to meet nice friends! Well, i would love to see those beautiful colonial houses and those drunk miners haha. Llamas? Maybe to ride on them (if possible) than to eat them he?

• Orkaena's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 3:53 PM

Otra joyita tuya. La dura historia de Potosi es bien conocida por aqui, aunque no con tanto detalle adquirido en una visita personal. Gracias por abrir mas nuestros ojos. Un abrazo

marcelo15

“"take the chance you wish to see the world"”

Badges & Stats in Potosí