"Claire's Globetrotting Homepage" Flem2002's Profile

There's nothing I like better ....

than lazing in the sun in a quiet place with nothing but a pile of good novels and the sound of the ocean lapping at the shore....

If I can't have that, then I like to explore Cities, quirky places and good restaurants, have fun in clubs and bars and theme parks.

Oh, and I adore the great outdoors with trees, woods, forests, nature, wildlife, places to walk, climb, bike...

Basically, I'm happy nearly everywhere except the desert! And I hate the hassle you get being blonde and female in some countries. No more said.

I've only just started to build my travel pages, but I hope to build up a varied mix of the exotic and the British in due course! The challenge is to build pages for my past travels at a rate that exceeds my future travels ... so far I'm not succeeding!

Past travels

My first holiday abroad was to Mallorca when I was about 5 years old, and I don't remember much about it. I never had many foreign holidays growing up, mainly because me parents were self employed but we did go off in our caravan around Britain whnever we could.

I've made up for it since becoming an adult and my most recent travels include:

1996 - Got married in Jamaica
1997 - Boston, New England and New York
1998 - Mallorca
1999 - Miami, Venezuela, Boston
2000 - Amsterdam, Barcelona
2001 - Bahamas, Madrid
2002 - Venice, Boston and New England again!
2003 - Antigua, Malaga
2004 - Formentera, Miami and Florida
2005 - Milan, Argentina, Uruguay, French Riviera, Malta
2006 - Paris, Maldives, New York
2007 - Agadir (Morocco), Devon (Hen weekend), Cornwall (seeing friends) and a cycle ride across the north of England (174 miles!) In September I enjoyed a week in Italy (attended a wedding in Venice then spent a week at Lake Garda) and I finished off the year by visiting Belfast for the first time and visiting my sister in Scotland.
2008 - Didn't go anywhere! We had a hectic year moving house, then I had a trip planned to Australia but fell ill and had to cancel.
2009 - Tried out our first cruise experience in September - from Barcelona, to Malta, up the West side of Italy (calling at Naples, Civitavecchia for Rome, Livorno) then to Cannes and back to Barcelona. We loved cruising - it was the perfect way to dip into places for the day that we swouldn't have otherwise visited.
2010 - Visited my friend in Brussels, and had a day trip to Bruges.

I am concerned about Climate Change so am making an effort to curb my international flying and see more of Britain instead... so far it's working and I'm beginning to appreciate that we have a lot of gorgeous green countryside to be explored right here.

However, my brother now lives in Brisbane, Australia, so 2010's main trip is a biggie to see as much of East Coast Oz as possible! Sydney, Gold coast, Whitsundays, Noosa, Fraser Island and Brisbane... here we come. Only wish I had longer than 3 weeks.

Other things

I ran the Edinburgh half marathon in March 2008. I am rubbish at running, so it was a real challenge for me, but I kept going and resisted the temptation to walk! To add to my motivation, I got sponsorship for Leaukaemia Research - and thanks to the generosity of my friends and family, raised over £350. I ran the Robin Hood half marathon in September 2008, but failed to beat my time by about 30 seconds. How gutting!
In March 2010 I completed the world's first Kilomathon (26km) - just over 16 miles. It all started to hurt around the halfway mark and I decided I really don't enjoy long distance running, and maybe should stick to 10ks in future!

• Intro Updated Aug 25, 2010

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Happy birthday! May you have a long life full of great travels.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 10:19 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California! Here's to many wonderful years!

• Bokhari76's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM

Happy Birthday Claire. Wish you many happy returns of the day.

• traveloturc's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Hi Claire ,thanks a lot for your comments on my home page ,hope to see you sometimes ,somewhere in this part of the world...btw I am not worrying to be in this part of the world.

• gogonicetrip's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 2:13 AM

Hi Claire Thank you for visiting and making a comment on my page. Enjoy your day. Masa

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM

♫•:*¨`*:•Happy birthday to you♫♫Happy b-day to you♫HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ღCLAIREღ ♫♫Happy b-day to yoou•:*¨`*:•♫ I wish you not only a happy year, but also happier maany returns (~_~)

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 7:40 AM

Happy Birthday, Claire, from John and Gail in New Jersey Have to go back and look at your views of things - seems to be more detailed than most I've seen.

• roamingpaddy's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 1:38 AM

sending you Happy birthday greetings Claire from Ireland :)

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 7:56 PM

G'Day Claire - Wishing you a very Happy Birthday. May your dreams be one day closer to becoming reality. Smiles from Sydney :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2007 at 7:43 PM

A warm birthday wish comes to you from Chicago. I do so hope that your special day is just perfect.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!