Funchal Local Custom Tips by ettenaj Top 5 Page for this destination
Funchal Local Customs: 12 reviews and 15 photos
On Madeira you can listen to both the laments of Portuguese fado and to the islanders own folk songs; these are sometimes accompanies by traditional instruments, such as the 4 string braguinha and the percussive brinquinho - a hand held pole where dolls wearing bells and castanets slide up and down to the music. Folk dances often hark back to the days of slavery-in the Porto do Sol, dancers with bowed heads move in circles as if their feet were chained together.
Traditional dress, still regularly worn by flower sellers, is smart and colourful. The women wear a red woollen skirt decorated with green, blue and yellow stripes, along with an embroidered red waistcoat over a white blouse. The men sport a baggy white shirt and knee length trousers tied with a red sash. A carapuca, like a skull cap with a stalk. and a cape thrown over the shoulder, may also be worn, along with light coloured leather boots with a red stripe
More Reviews (37)
- See All Me in Santana
- See All Great Gardens
- See All Cliffs
- See All The roads
- See All The Beatles Boat
- See All Savoy
ettenaj's Related Pages
Funchal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Funchal - You can feel nature all around you"
- "Funchal Impressions"
- "Fabulous Funchal"
- "Amphitheatre around a beautiful bay."
- "Funchal - Madeira the Flower Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Funchal
- Hotels in Funchal
- Transportation in Funchal
- Nightlife in Funchal
- Restaurants in Funchal
- Shopping in Funchal
- Warnings and Dangers in Funchal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Funchal
- 39 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 47 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Funchal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Funchal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 42 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal Intro, 39 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bolton Intro, 33 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mayrhofen Intro, 35 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prefecture of Cefalonia Intro, 30 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Intro, 25 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wexford Intro, 19 reviews, 28 photos
- Brühl Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos
- Oslo Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos