"From Greece to Albania." Top 5 Page for this destination Sarande by GrantBoone

Sarande Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 277 photos

WHY ALBANIA?

A week in Corfu was never going to be enough. We saw adverts for Day trips to Albania on our first day on Corfu. A boat trip to a country which had re- opened its borders to visitors that same month. We just had to go for it! ...........
(notice the luxury transport awaiting us on the left of the photo!!)

ARRIVAL

We waited at 5am for the ferry from Corfu Town to Sarande, Albania. The ferry took about two hours before we saw our first glimpse of the grey apartment blocks scattered along the small harbour. And then , from nowhere came the sight of hundreds of small boys on makeshift rafts coming towards our boat .All with there hands outstretched . They shouted for food , drinks , pens(!!) and money. In fact anything and everything! *

GREETINGS FROM ALBANIA!

As we docked in the harbour, we were followed by the group of children onto a coach bound for Roman ruins in a place called Butrint.
**********************
Read on for the rest of the story! .>>

• Pros:Unique, incredible people. Just to be able to say IVE BEEN THERE!
  • Cons:Difficult to find faults on such a short visit.
  • In a nutshell:So glad I took the chance to visit an undiscovered country
  • Last visit to Sarande: Oct 1991
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2014

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2014 at 1:35 AM

you are lucky to get to Albania, i spent a month in Corfu, in 73 and again in 74, camping and how we wished we could get to this hermit country

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I imagine things may have changed a little in Albania since your visit, but nevertheless this is a fascinating page - really enjoyed reading your impressions

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Hi, Thanks for visiting my Yemen pages. Glad I got to go when I did. My friends from that trip actually met in Albania 25 years ago coincidentally!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Quite fancy seeing Albania - far prefer the less touristy places.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Nice pics...Maybe Luton to Sarande is quicker than Budapest to Sarande? Takes 18 hours by train to Podgarica from Budapest, then another 90 mins to Shkoder, 2 hrs to Tirane, 3 hrs to Vlore then maybe 5 to Sarande? How many times u been?

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Good tips, thanks Grant.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 10:38 AM

What an excellent opportunity you took back then to go visit Albania - interesting page thanks - hope i get there myself before too long!

• eni83's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2008 at 4:52 AM

You too have a lvely picture here at Saranda page.

• millablake's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 4:59 AM

shucks. the latest motto she has given you is woeful! and i saw a little sun in London, for about 2 minutes about 8 weeks ago...

• evona's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2006 at 6:21 PM

Interesting place for visit it. I see the young boys didn`t want you felt there alone :)

GrantBoone

“The great thing about virtualtourist is you can quote something and totally make up the source .(Lenin 1917)”

Badges & Stats in Sarande

Have you been to Sarande?

Latest Activity in Sarande