London Things to Do Tips by GrantBoone
London Things to Do: 9,004 reviews and 15,373 photos
From the Tower of London at Tower Hill Station ,come off the viewing platform and turn left ahead is the monument for the merchant seaman lost in the two world wars, walk through and just ahead is a small plaque on the pavement showing the location of the scaffold where many executions took place , including those of Ann Boleyn, Guy Fawkes, Lady Jane Gray, Thomas More.
One of the few surviving medievel churches in the city of London , which narrowly escaped destruction in the Great fire of At the end of Pepys Street in seething street stands St Olave's church,
Samuel Pepys is buried here, and the spiked iron gate with skull and cross bones is mentioned in Charles Dickens "The Uncommercial Traveller" as St Ghastly Grim!!! to the right of the gateway is a noticeboard which records on September 14th 1586 Mother Goose was buried here! plus also 365 victims of the 1665 plague!!
Turn right into Seething street and left into Hart Street
The church is famous for its macabre entrance arch crowned with a cluster of skulls.
Directions: Seething lane near Tower.Hill station.
The church of St Bartholomew-the-great is one of the oldest parish churches in London ( building began in 1123 ) and can boast some of the best Romanesque work in the capital.
The pride of London and one of the most famous landmarks of London, designed by Sir Christopher Wren in 1668 to replace the original cathedral destroyed by the great fire in 1666.
Address: St Pauls Churchyard, EC4
Directions: St Pauls tube
Phone: 0 20 7236 4128
There has been an Inn on this site since 1268 and the George and Vulture is mentioned at least 20 times in Charles Dickens novel ' Pickwick papers'.Dickens himself frequently drank here.
Address: 3 Castle court , City of London.
On 8th september 1915 a German Zeppelin raid on the Smithfield area of London hit the St Barts hospital and damage to the walls can still be seen today.
In 1917 a German Zeppelin raid hit the Smithfield area and the plaster covering of this half timbered house from the time of Elizabeth I was dislodged. The watch towers here employed men to watch fresh burials to protect them from the Body Snatchers who sold bodies to St Barts hospital for dissection.
Address: 10 Giltspur St London, London, England EC1A9DE
London’s only public statue of King Henry VIII stands on top of the main entrance gate to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in West Smithfield. St. Bartholomew’s was founded in 1123 and provided care for the sick, poor and needy in London for several centuries until its actual existence began to suffer when King Henry VIII began to dissolve the monasteries.
Bow bells are probably the most famous in the world and for many hundreds of years have been woven into the folklore of the City of London. In 1392 Dick Whittington heard Bow bells call him back to London to become Lord Mayor; to be born within the sound of Bow bells was the sign of a true Londoner or Cockney; and Bow bell's authority ends the medieval nursery rhyme Oranges and Lemons, 'I do not know says the Great Bell of Bow'. During the Second World War the BBC's World Service broadcast a recording of Bow bells, made in 1926, as a symbol of hope to the free people of Europe.
Address: The Church of St Mary-Le-Bow
At St Magnus the Marytr’s Church on Lower Thames Street , you can find remains of the Old London Bridge If you look carefully in the church's courtyard you will see a set of large stones, unlabelled and apparently without purpose. These stones are actually the remains of the old medieval London Bridge, more specifically parts from the northernmost arch.
Directions: St Magnus the Marytr’s Church on Lower Thames Street.
More Reviews (33)
- See All HAUNTED PUB NO 1
- See All HAMPTON COURT PALACE
- See All The home of Rugby
- See All SPEAKERS CORNER
- STAYING OUTSIDE THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE
- See All The biggest shopping mall in Europe
GrantBoone's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "London, the capital of England"
- "ENGLAND - LONDON"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- "London, Misty Albion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Explore the World
- Saint Petersburg
- Bucana Hotels
- Olomouc Hotels
- Mitchell Beach Hotels
- Kakinada Hotels
Badges & Stats in London
- 79 Reviews
- 218 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 79 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hemel Hempstead Intro, 56 reviews, 153 photos, 8 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 25 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 25 reviews, 90 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Albufeira Intro, 20 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (244)
Latest London hotel reviews
- Regent Palace Hotel London
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
- The Egerton House Hotel
- 478 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- InterContinental London
- 1019 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Goldsmid House
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2013
- Sheraton Skyline Hotel And Conference Centre
- 1269 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- The Court Hostel
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 28, 2013
- Fraser Suites Queens Gate
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- The Balmoral House Hotel
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- The Selfridge - Thistle Hotel
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- The Admiral Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- 868 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Days Inn Stansted
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- London Kensington Travel Inn
- 1184 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- The Connaught
- 343 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Belvedere Hotel
- 128 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Tower of London- 462 Reviews, 760 Photos
- British Museum- 296 Reviews, 528 Photos
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben- 373 Reviews, 629 Photos
- London Eye- 262 Reviews, 450 Photos
- Buckingham Palace.- 396 Reviews, 658 Photos
- Camden Town, Lock and Market.- 100 Reviews, 180 Photos
- Hyde Park- 167 Reviews, 304 Photos
- Piccadilly Circus- 178 Reviews, 260 Photos
- St Pauls Cathedral- 246 Reviews, 416 Photos
- Westminster Abbey- 258 Reviews, 441 Photos
See All London Things to Do