"TRAVELS OF AN ENGLISHMAN" GrantBoone's Profile

My European trips , tips and pics!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ W E L C O M E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi , and welcome to my homepage.

For those who dont know me , Im the English bloke with the sense of humour that strangely only Americans seem to understand.

For those who DO know me......its ..erm...Well its the same guy !

So , what else ??......

I have never smoked.
I hate mashed potato
I cycle 54 miles per week.
I have a diary record of every day since Jan 1989
I have no tattoos ( although I once wrote a shopping list on the back of my hand.)
I once worked as a banana ripener.
I video recorded President Andropov of Russia 's funeral ( for the music!)
I claudius
I liked the blonde one out of ABBA ( female!)
I liked ' The power of love ' by Frankie goes to hollywood .(NOT Jennifer Rush!!)
I have slept in JFK airport for 12 hours.(with baseball bat in hand.)
I have been learning russian for 5 years
I cried when my siamese cat died( well, I was only 14!)
I cried when Frank Sinatra died in 'Von Ryan's express.' (14 again )

*************************************************************************

====================================================

And Now For Something Completely Different......................

**************************************

GROWING UP IN HEMEL HEMPSTEAD

After living most of my life in the quiet Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead
, I moved to London in 96 for a change of scene , work and to get married to my then girlfriend and have a family. But its Hemel Hempstead , some 30 miles north of London ,where most of my friends remain. My mum and brother still live in the town and I travel back there frequently for a night out with old school friends or the occasional wedding. Check out my Hemel page to give you an insight into the town .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ENGLAND'S GREEN AND PLEASANT LAND

I'm very proud of my country despite it not having a great reputation around the world in the last few years. Ive had the pleasure of visiting most cities and towns in England and apart from the well known tourist attractions and sights there are some stunning areas of beauty to be seen here. During the summer of 2012 we were lucky enough to stay with some friends for a week in the Lake district area of Northern England. The place took my breath away ! Ive also spent many a summer holiday at the other end of the country at the gorgeous coastal towns of Cornwall and Devon. Firstly as a child with my parents , brother and sister. And then in later years with my wife and children. ......CLICK HERE FOR CORNWALL
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE DRIVE THROUGH EUROPE

Perhaps my favourite holiday saw myself and 2 friends hire a car in London and present ourselves with a challenge to see how many countries we could see in one week!
All three of us chose one destination each that we'd like to visit. My choice was Poland and , arriving off the ferry in Belgium we set off at the crack of dawn to drive through Belgium , Holland , a short stay in Gutersloh- Germany to visit friends for lunch then on to Berlin by mid afternoon for photos and souvenirs at The Brandenburg gate.
Back in the car , we finally arrived at the Polish border as dark fell. Once through customs we found the nearest town and settled down in a hotel for the night.
The trip continued next day with us driving through Poland , Czech Rep , Slovakia ,Austria and Hungary ,taking in cities like Prague , Vienna and Budapest.
The latter part of the week saw us drive on to Italy , Switzerland , Leichtenstein , France , Luxembourg and back into Belgium for our ferry trip back to England.
A REALLY MEMORABLE HOLIDAY WITH GREAT FRIENDS.
WE TOOK A VIDEO CAMERA WITH US ON THE TRIP AND SOME CLIPS CAN BE CLICKED ON BELOW...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LINKS TO THE VIDEOS OF THE CITIES I STOPPED AT....
1. BERLIN.
8. BUDAPEST
9. ZURICH
10. POLAND

MY TRIPS TO THE UNITED STATES

I have only made two visits to The United States in my lifetime. Although I hope to take my family to stay with my sister and her husband who now live in Charleston , South Carolina.
One of my earliest ever overseas holidays was to Orlando in Florida where we stayed close to Disney World . It was an incredible experience for me and I loved everything about America and its amazing sights. During that 2 week stay we took a flight up to New York for the middle weekend and although utterly petrified on arrival there , the city left a real mark on me , so much so that when I had the opportunity to re-visit New York in 95 I made sure I got the most out of the experience and really packed in all I could during a thoroughly enjoyable week in the big apple.

MY UNUSUAL VISIT TO ALBANIA

A week in Corfu was never going to be enough. We saw adverts for Day trips to Albania on our first day on Corfu. A boat trip to a country which had re- opened its borders to visitors that same month. We just had to go for it! ...........We waited at 5am for the ferry from Corfu Town to Sarande, Albania. The ferry took about two hours before we saw our first glimpse of the grey apartment blocks scattered along the small harbour. And then , from nowhere came the sight of hundreds of small boys on makeshift rafts coming towards our boat .All with there hands outstretched . They shouted for food , drinks , pens(!!) and money. In fact anything and everything! As we docked in the harbour, we were followed by the group of children onto a coach bound for Roman ruins in a place called Butrint. - See more on my Sarande page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VT MEMBER TYPES

1. The forum addict
2. The weirdo ( male or female)
3. The Flirt
4. The Lonely Heart
5. The ratings hunter
6. The friends hunter
7. The party photos member
8. The pages critic
9. The 'pics stolen from other websites ' member.
10. The ' no pages ' member.
11. Genuinely nice people who like to travel.( few and far between !)
12. The ' happy birthday stranger ' member.
13. The sports fanatic.
14. The killjoy
15. The misery guts
16. The Copyrighteous

• Intro Updated Apr 3, 2014

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
GrantBoone's Profile Photo

GrantBoone

“The great thing about virtualtourist is you can quote something and totally make up the source .(Lenin 1917)”

Real Name