"TRAVELS OF AN ENGLISHMAN" GrantBoone's Profile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ W E L C O M E ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi , and welcome to my homepage.
For those who dont know me , Im the English bloke with the sense of humour that strangely only Americans seem to understand.
For those who DO know me......its ..erm...Well its the same guy !
So , what else ??......
I have never smoked.
I hate mashed potato
I cycle 54 miles per week.
I have a diary record of every day since Jan 1989
I have no tattoos ( although I once wrote a shopping list on the back of my hand.)
I once worked as a banana ripener.
I video recorded President Andropov of Russia 's funeral ( for the music!)
I liked the blonde one out of ABBA ( female!)
I liked ' The power of love ' by Frankie goes to hollywood .(NOT Jennifer Rush!!)
I have slept in JFK airport for 12 hours.(with baseball bat in hand.)
I have been learning russian for 5 years
I cried when my siamese cat died( well, I was only 14!)
I cried when Frank Sinatra died in 'Von Ryan's express.' (14 again )
And Now For Something Completely Different......................
After living most of my life in the quiet Hertfordshire town of Hemel Hempstead , I moved to London in 96 to get married and have a family. But its Hemel Hempstead , some 30 miles north of London ,where most of my friends remain. My mum and brother still live in the town and I travel back there frequently for a night out with old school friends or the occasional wedding. Check out my Hemel page to give you an insight into the town .
I'm very proud of my country despite it not having a great reputation around the world at the moment. Ive had the pleasure of visiting most cities and towns of England and apart from the well known tourist attractions and sights there are some stunning areas of beauty to be seen here. Last summer ( 2012 ) we were lucky enought to be able to stay with some friends for a week in the Lake district area of northern England. The place took my breath away ! Ive also spent many a summer holiday at the other end of the country at the gorgeous coastal towns of Cornwall and Devon. Firstly as a child with my parents , brother and sister. And then in later years with my wife and children.
Perhaps my favourite holiday saw myself and 2 friends hire a car in London and present ourselves with a challenge to see how many countries we could see in one week!
All three of us chose one destination each that we'd like to visit. My choice was Poland and , arriving off the ferry in Belgium we set off at the crack of dawn to drive through Belgium , Holland , a short stay in Gutersloh- Germany to visit friends for lunch then on to Berlin by mid afternoon for photos and souvenirs at The Brandenburg gate.
Back in the car , we finally arrived at the Polish border as dark fell. Once through customs we found the nearest town and settled down in a hotel for the night.
The trip continued next day with us driving through Poland , Czech Rep , Slovakia ,Austria and Hungary ,taking in cities like Prague , Vienna and Budapest.
The latter part of the week saw us drive on to Italy , Switzerland , Leichtenstein , France , Luxembourg and back into Belgium for our ferry trip back to England.
A REALLY MEMORABLE HOLIDAY WITH GREAT FRIENDS.
See photos of our trip throughout my pages.
I have only made two visits to The united States in my lifetime. Although I hope to take my family to stay with my sister and her husband who now live in Charleston , South Carolina.
One of my earliest ever overseas holidays was to Orlando in Florida where we stayed close to Disney World . It was an incredible experience for me and I loved everything about America and its amazing sights. During that 2 week stay we took a flight up to New York for the middle weekend and although utterly petrified on arrival there , the city left a real mark on me , so much so that when I had the opportunity to re-visit New York in 95 I made sure I got the most out of the experience and really packed in all I could during a thoroughly enjoyable week in the big apple.
A week in Corfu was never going to be enough. We saw adverts for Day trips to Albania on our first day on Corfu. A boat trip to a country which had re- opened its borders to visitors that same month. We just had to go for it! ...........We waited at 5am for the ferry from Corfu Town to Sarande, Albania. The ferry took about two hours before we saw our first glimpse of the grey apartment blocks scattered along the small harbour. And then , from nowhere came the sight of hundreds of small boys on makeshift rafts coming towards our boat .All with there hands outstretched . They shouted for food , drinks , pens(!!) and money. In fact anything and everything! As we docked in the harbour, we were followed by the group of children onto a coach bound for Roman ruins in a place called Butrint. - See more on my Sarande page
1. The forum addict
2. The weirdo ( male or female)
3. The Flirt
4. The Lonely Heart
5. The ratings hunter
6. The friends hunter
7. The party photos member
8. The pages critic
9. The 'pics stolen from other websites ' member.
10. The ' no pages ' member.
11. Genuinely nice people who like to travel.( few and far between !)
12. The ' happy birthday stranger ' member.
13. The sports fanatic.
14. The killjoy
15. The misery guts
16. The Copyrighteous
2. Globerover.................VT glitches
3. Emilienoelle............The 80''s files.
4. LKM1018.....Great homepage!
6. CoAir13.................I remember when.
8. JAFA-rease...................VT Olympics
9.VickyDeakin...................A Homepage full of wicked humour.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Mill Run (Fallingwater) Hotels
- Pymatuning State Park Hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- Boca Chica Key Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Puerto Peñasco Hotels
- Monuriki Island Hotels
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- Destin Hotels
- Bohol Hotels
- Batangas City Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Saskatoon Hotels
- Marmaris Hotels
- Laoag City
- Willow Glen Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
“The great thing about virtualtourist is you can quote something and totally make up the source .(Lenin 1917)”
- Member Rank:
- 0 0 5 7 7
- Forum Rank:
- 0 2 5 8 8
- Real Name
- Ealing, United Kingdom
- Member Since
- Sep 14, 2003
- 426 Reviews
- 1,358 Photos
- Add Friend
- Send Message
Badges & Stats
- 426 Reviews
- 1,358 Photos
- 20 Countries
- 27 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
- Commented on GL2511's profile page
- GrantBoone and explorer13 are now friends.
- updated a London Travel Page "HISTORIC LONDON'S SECRETS 2013"
- Wrote a Review Executions at the Tower in London Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Executions at the Tower"
- Posted in Travel England Forum "Re: Trip to London"
updated their Personal Page "HOMEPAGE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVES"
- Uploaded a Video to Cornwall
VideosSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 79 reviews, 218 photos, 10 travelogues
- Hemel Hempstead Intro, 56 reviews, 153 photos, 8 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 25 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 20 reviews, 90 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cornwall Intro, 25 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Albufeira Intro, 20 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 14 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lake District National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22457 Reviews - 54961 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2056 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos