"Ålesund, a beautiful town with a dramatic history" Top 5 Page for this destination Ålesund by Hildeal
Ålesund Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 544 photos
ålesund is a beautiful city with quite a dramatic history to tell. During a night in 1903, the whole town burned down. It was winter and thousands of people were homeless. Luckily only one person died during the fire. The ironical things was that she was the nearest neighbor to the fire station and was already in safety but wanted to go back to get some more of her belongings.
Many other Towns and countries were willing to help Ålesund to rebuild the town. The biggest help came from Germany. Keiser Wilhelm sent most of the supplies that were meant for some other countries to Ålesund.
During Two years the town was rebuild in the jugend stile. Architects from Norway who most of them had their education from Germany and France participated in this process. The architecture is a mixture of all these ideas, and is quite interesting to look at
Ålesund & Sunnmøre is the perfect place to explore some of Norway's most famous natural and cultural attractions. Ålesund's beautiful Art Nouveau architecture is known far and wide. The myriad of turrets, spires and beautiful ornamentation that give the town its distinctive character are like something from a fairytale
You have to take the trip up here, and watch all the islands .
At the top of Ålesund's Town Mountain, Aksla, you'll be able to enjoy a fantastic view of the archipelago, Ålesund's town centre, and the majestic Sunnmøre Alps. Walk the 418 steps up from the Town Park, or go by car.
Ålesund is famous for its jugend style After the town was burned down in 1904 architects from Norway who where educated from all over Europe had a mission to rebuild the Town. With so many different builders with so many ideas it had to lead to a very special result.
The town even has it own jugend style museum that takes you back to the big fire and you'll see how the town was rebuild
famous people from Ålesund
Bjørn Johan Muri, singer
John Arne Riise, football player
Bjørn Helge Riise, football player
- Pros:a town for arts and culture
- Cons:it's small
- In a nutshell:a small town with culture
on this fjord cruise to Hjørundfjorden , you'll se the fjord communities Trandal, Sæbø and Øye. The trip stops in Øye,... more travel advice
Rollon or Gange-Rolv was a viking who's said to be from one of the islands west for Ålesund, Giske or Vigra. He was... more travel advice
Hildeal's Related Pages
Ålesund Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The fantastic Art Nouveau town"
- "Ålesund, a beautiful town with a dramatic history"
- "Alesund & Sunnmore"
- "Ålesund - Fjords and Jugendstil"
- "Porteplume's new Ålesund Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ålesund
- Hotels in Ålesund
- Transportation in Ålesund
- Nightlife in Ålesund
- Restaurants in Ålesund
- Shopping in Ålesund
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ålesund
- 26 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ålesund?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ålesund
Photos in ÅlesundSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 136 reviews, 393 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ålesund Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oppland Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sandefjord Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Geiranger Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tartu Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kristiansand Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hemsedal Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos