"oslo my home (bomb) town" Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by Hildeal

Oslo Travel Guide: 2,985 reviews and 7,247 photos

Hi, I'm Hilde a 32 year old girl/woman, a special education need teacher and I'm a third generation Oslo girl,

I want to show you my city Oslo, the capital of Norway
This is the content:

I’m very interested in sociology, psychology and linguistics, in my local customs there is a lot of information about the Oslo people and our culture, our language and a Norwegian course with sound files

Oslo are one of the most overprized cities in the world, because of the taxes. As a tourist I guess you won’t get fat her, if you live on a small food budget. In my general tips, there´s a list of
Things to eat and do if you’re here on a Oslo on a budget. I guess it’s possible to pay a visit to Oslo without being ruined, if you plan your trip and stay away from the most overcrowded areas.

Other tips include :

things to do if you want to mix with the locals

*A lot of the beaten path tips
living i Oslo and job search.
Housing in Oslo

family vacation tips

*Exploring Oslo by walking

The history of Oslo

The first settlement in Oslo started around 1000 years ago and was situated in that area which we nowadays call Gamlebyen (old town.)

According to Snorre Sturlason, Harald Hardråde raised a trade area which had its constitution around 1048. The town was an economical and religious center with plenty of churches and monasteries and the king fortress Akershus. When the big pest came to Norway there was a period of decline and the city was exposed to many fires.

After the big fire in 1624 the city was rebuilt and was called Christiania until 1924.

Until the 1900 century our most important industry branch was trade. Around 1850 the industry in the city really had its flourishment Clothes, soaps and paper fabrics were built around the Aker river. The number of inhabitants increased during the industrial time. In 1910 the population decreased and people started moving to the suburb township Aker. In 1948 Oslo and Aker were conjoined. Our Township is now called Oslo og Akershus . And around 1950 new townships arised.

Vigelandsparken

A MUST for all tourists

also called Frognerparken

Visit this park and see the marvelous sculptures made by Gustav Vigeland.

• Pros:our citylife
  • Cons:expensive town
  • In a nutshell:anything but boring
  • Last visit to Oslo: Aug 2011
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2013

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2012 at 6:15 AM

Hi Hilde, received your reply to my birthday greet, its my pressure. Read your introduction on your homecity OSLO, I emjoy reading but I can not finish the reviews ( so many ) in a short while, will follow up later, thanks.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Hi Hilde. It´s me again, reading your excellent tips :) We are coming over on the 7th. And I see that there is a lot to do and see, I especially liked Grunerlökka, must go there.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Hello, Hilde! Thanks for your valuable tips, especially about customs... But your link to your singing does not work on my computer....

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Well you have some good work here and members have rated you. Congrtas

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2011 at 10:00 PM

I hope to go there one day!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I think you have covered Oslo well. Thanks for the information!

• Paris92's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Phenomenal pages!!! They really make me want to see Oslo! You truly deserved your Barney nomination!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Great page and Tips I think the little girl is pleading with the man in the statue not to harm the babies. I disliked the statue when I saw it and so did our Guide!Shoes off - we do it here too specially in winter!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Hi Hilde Great page! It's over 25 years since I visited the Vigeland sculpture park, and I still think it's close to the top of my favourite places! Looking forward to reading more. regards Cathy

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Nice 'Things to Do' tips on your home town! I haven't been to Oslo for many years, but last year I went back to Copenhagen and loved it, so I want to re-visit the other Scandinavian capitals, too. Great that Aker harbour is car-free 365 days a year!

Hildeal Lives Here!

Hildeal

“"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible "”

Badges & Stats in Oslo