"Hilde's Oslo guide" Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo by Hildeal
Oslo Travel Guide: 2,975 reviews and 7,182 photos
Hi, I'm Hilde a 34 year old girl/woman, a special education need teacher and I'm a third generation Oslo girl. I'm working for the Red Cross in Norway. That´s my short introduction. I'm a straight to the point person, and this is the content:
I want to show you my city Oslo, the capital of Norway
I’m very interested in sociology, psychology and linguistics, in my local customs there is a lot of information about the Oslo people and our culture, our language and a Norwegian course with sound files.
Oslo is an expensive town, it doesn´t mean that you´ll get ruined but you need to stay away form the most expensive places and plan your trip carefully.
In my general tips, there´s a list of
Things to eat and do if you’re here on a Oslo on a ---budget.
Other tips include :
things to do if you want to mix with the locals
*A lot of the beaten path tips
living i Oslo
Housing in Oslo
family vacation tips
*Exploring Oslo by walking
The first settlement in Oslo started around 1000 years ago and was situated in that area which we nowadays call Gamlebyen (old town.)
According to Snorre Sturlason, Harald Hardråde raised a trade area which had its constitution around 1048. The town was an economical and religious center with plenty of churches and monasteries and the king fortress Akershus. When the big pest came to Norway there was a period of decline and the city was exposed to many fires.
After the big fire in 1624 the city was rebuilt and was named Christiania until 1924.
Until the 1900 century our most important industry branch was trade. Around 1850 the industry in the city really had its flourishment Clothes, soaps and paper fabrics were built around the Aker river. The number of inhabitants increased during the industrial time. In 1910 the population decreased and people started moving to the suburb township Aker. In 1948 Oslo and Aker were conjoined. Our Township is now called Oslo og Akershus . And around 1950 new townships arised.
A MUST for all tourists
also called Frognerparken
Visit this park and see the marvelous sculptures made by Gustav Vigeland.
- Pros:our citylife, outdoor experiences, friendly people, no crime
- Cons:expensive town
- In a nutshell:anything but boring
I had never heard about this museum before, so it was a surprise to learn that there actually was a musum with... more travel advice
Until recently I didn't know that Hovedoya had such a dramatic history. From 1945 the island was used as some sort of a... more travel advice
- See All Strangers in the night
- See All Norwegian traffic rules
- See All Tøyenbadet
- See All Rasfare.no
- See All student housing
Hildeal's Related Pages
Oslo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OSLO - NORWAY´S CAPITAL CITY."
- "Hilde's Oslo guide"
- "The fantastic capital of Norway"
- "My Own Private Oslo"
- "Winter Weekend in Oslo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oslo
- Hotels in Oslo
- Transportation in Oslo
- Nightlife in Oslo
- Restaurants in Oslo
- Shopping in Oslo
- Warnings and Dangers in Oslo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oslo
- 138 Reviews
- 389 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 69 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Oslo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oslo
Photos in OsloSee All Photos (389)
Videos in OsloSee All Videos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 138 reviews, 395 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ålesund Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oppland Intro, 38 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sandefjord Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Geiranger Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tartu Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kristiansand Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hemsedal Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos