"The Whale City, my nice tourist trap" Sandefjord by Hildeal
Sandefjord Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 99 photos
It was never my intention to visit Sandefjord
it was actually a tourist trap, but a nice one. . when I ordered my ticket from Oslo to Stuttgart and back I failed to see that Oslo airport also includes Torp airport in Sandefjord. ( Ryan air has a strange way with geography, that’s probably why my ticket was cheaper than all the others).
When I first realized that I was going to fly to Sandefjord, I decided to make the best out of it, and stay a night in this town, since I arrived too late to get back to Oslo that evening, and since I like whales a lot I decided to visit the whale museum the next day.
Sandefjord's history goes way back. The vikings lived here and left remnants of an interesting period. Today this is represented by the Gokstad burial mound just outside of the town centre, where the Gokstad ship was excavated in 1880. A copy of the ship, the "Gaia", has Sandefjord as its homeport and is found on the museum pier. In the 1800s Sandefjord was a renowned spa town with prominent guests such as the author Henrik Ibsen and King Oscar II.
Sandefjord is famous for its navigation and chemical industry. the ship Gokstadskipet was found near the city in 1880 and now is to be found in the Vikingship house. Both the Gokstadship Copy "Gaia" and The whale boat "Southern Actor" has Sandefjord as their home harbor.
famous people from Sandefjord:
Karin Fossum, author (born 1954)
Dag Solstad, author (born 1941)
Anita Hegerland, singer (born 1961)
- Pros:nice buildings, nice museums, quiet town
- Cons:it's no Oslo, and Torp Airport is not like Gardermoen airport
- In a nutshell:a nice tourist trap
I spent two days here attending a course . the company rents out the meeting rooms all days a week, and they also serve... more travel advice
Is located in Eftang, Larvik and it takes around 30 minutes to get there by car. There's an art gallery there, every... more travel advice
Hildeal's Related Pages
Sandefjord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "How do they survive?"
- "A Sweet spot-Sandefjord"
- "The Whale City, my nice tourist trap"
- "Sandefjord, Larvik area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sandefjord
- Hotels in Sandefjord
- Transportation in Sandefjord
- Restaurants in Sandefjord
- Shopping in Sandefjord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sandefjord
- 15 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Sandefjord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sandefjord
Photos in SandefjordSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oslo Intro, 134 reviews, 389 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ålesund Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oppland Intro, 37 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sandefjord Intro, 15 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 11 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bergen Intro, 13 reviews, 30 photos
- Geiranger Intro, 13 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tartu Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kristiansand Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hemsedal Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos