"The Whale City, my nice tourist trap" Sandefjord by Hildeal

Sandefjord Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 99 photos

My trip to Sandefjord

It was never my intention to visit Sandefjord

it was actually a tourist trap, but a nice one. . when I ordered my ticket from Oslo to Stuttgart and back I failed to see that Oslo airport also includes Torp airport in Sandefjord. ( Ryan air has a strange way with geography, that’s probably why my ticket was cheaper than all the others).

When I first realized that I was going to fly to Sandefjord, I decided to make the best out of it, and stay a night in this town, since I arrived too late to get back to Oslo that evening, and since I like whales a lot I decided to visit the whale museum the next day.

The history of Sandefjord

Sandefjord's history goes way back. The vikings lived here and left remnants of an interesting period. Today this is represented by the Gokstad burial mound just outside of the town centre, where the Gokstad ship was excavated in 1880. A copy of the ship, the "Gaia", has Sandefjord as its homeport and is found on the museum pier. In the 1800s Sandefjord was a renowned spa town with prominent guests such as the author Henrik Ibsen and King Oscar II.

Sandefjord, a maritime city

Sandefjord is famous for its navigation and chemical industry. the ship Gokstadskipet was found near the city in 1880 and now is to be found in the Vikingship house. Both the Gokstadship Copy "Gaia" and The whale boat "Southern Actor" has Sandefjord as their home harbor.

famous people from Sandefjord:

Karin Fossum, author (born 1954)

Dag Solstad, author (born 1941)
Anita Hegerland, singer (born 1961)

• Pros:nice buildings, nice museums, quiet town
  • Cons:it's no Oslo, and Torp Airport is not like Gardermoen airport
  • In a nutshell:a nice tourist trap
  • Last visit to Sandefjord: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 16, 2012

Travelogues (1)

Hildeal

“"Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible "”

Badges & Stats in Sandefjord

Have you been to Sandefjord?

Latest Activity in Sandefjord