"A close call in Lhasa" Lhasa by mim95

Lhasa Travel Guide: 512 reviews and 1,369 photos

I spent 10 days in Tibet, mainly in Lhasa, the capital city and the religious center of Tibet. Before leaving for Tibet, I had a sore throat the night before, and it had turned into a cough that wouldn't go away once I arrived Lhasa. My initial plan was to spend a few days in Lhasa, then head to the Everest Base Camp (EBC), and back to Lhasa. The later part had to be cancel because the doctor advised me not to go any higher or else I would be risking my life. I'm really glad that I visited a doctor before departure because if the altitude sickness hit me along the way, I would be in big trouble with the cough. The nearest hospital was many hours away. I was just reading an article in a travel magazine about the unfortunate experience of a 21-year old girl who died on the way to the hospital from EBC, a 5-6 hour drive apart. She had developed severe altitude sickness at EBC. It could have been me had I gone....

On a lighter note, I had a good time while I remained in Lhasa. Other travellers were supportive knowing that I was not well. I still enjoyed my time in Lhasa, and I managed to do an overnight trip to Samye Monastery, which is in a valley outside of Lhasa at about the same elevation (3,600m) as Lhasa. That was actually the best part of my Tibet trip!

• Pros:learn about the Tibetan culture and religion
  • Cons:it is rapidly turning into a typical Chinese town
  • In a nutshell:Visit before the Qinghai-Tibet railway is completed
  • Last visit to Lhasa: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 22, 2005

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Beautiful Lhasa page Mim, very beautiful place. I just how I missed this page of your's?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Great tips Mimi

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 8:37 AM

It's good that the other travelers were so supportive knowing that you weren't feeling well in Lhasa. Too bad you couldn't go on to the Everest Base Camp, but it's good you found out in time. Lhasa sounds like a worthwhile destination in any case.

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Nice page, Mimi. Lhasa and Tibet is/are somewhere I've always wanted to visit. I will admit that I've always also worried about the altitude. We were at a similar altitude in Ecuador so maybe we'd be OK, who knows.

• Jul 12, 2008 at 5:42 AM

One of my favorite places in thw world!

• nikoskaps's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 12:22 PM

great info Mimi, i'm excited to get there! i wish you many more happy travels!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Amazing page on Tibet. Glad that you went and came back safely.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Nice photos and tips. I developed a cough like that in Mongolia. I needed medical attention at Novosibirsk station in Siberia on the train journey back to England. I think it's something to do with the dry, thin air.

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2007 at 4:03 AM

Great photos , good advice thanks !

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I was in Jiuzhaigou just one day. A lot to see in one day.

mim95

“Travelling is an addiction!”

Badges & Stats in Lhasa