"Quebec, the charming French town" Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec by mim95
Quebec Travel Guide: 1,570 reviews and 3,487 photos
Quebec City is the only fortified city remaining north of Mexico. The old town was designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985. The city was built on the cliff beside the St. Lawrence River where it narrows.
The city was founded by Samuel de Champlain in 1608. He selected this site as a trading post because of its unique natural features - the cliffs and the deep waters of the St. Lawrence. The colony was sucessfully defended until 1759, when it fell to Britain. Although it was under British rules, the French culture and tradition remained.
The cliffs divide Old Quebec into two areas: Upper Town and Lower Town.
- Pros:Rich in French history, lots of monuments, European style shops
- In a nutshell:A well protected historical and cultural treasure!
The Ursuline Convent is a complex of buildings with a girls' school, monastery, chapel and museum. The Ursuline School... more travel advice
Porte Saint-Louis is one of the four remaining gates in the fortifications. The current gate was built in 1878 by Lord... more travel advice
mim95's Related Pages
Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quebec, mon amour!"
- "Quebec City, Quebec, Canada"
- "Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
- "Quebec, the charming French town"
- "Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."
- "Quebec City, c'est magnifique!"
- "LA BELLE PROVINCE - QUEBEC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quebec
- Hotels in Quebec
- Transportation in Quebec
- Nightlife in Quebec
- Restaurants in Quebec
- Shopping in Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Quebec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quebec
- 26 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quebec
- Posted in Travel Bangkok Forum "Re: Cheapest airlines?"
- Commented on one of mim95's Quebec travel pages
- updated a Quebec Travel Page "Quebec, the charming French town"
- Wrote a Review The oldest school for girls in North America about Other museums in Quebec Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The oldest school for girls in North America"
Photos in QuebecSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 79 reviews, 77 photos
- Nikko Intro, 25 reviews, 79 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 35 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Rai Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos
- Toronto Intro, 36 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Montreal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 19 reviews, 10 photos