"Felt like going back in time..." Top 5 Page for this destination Havana by mim95

Havana Travel Guide: 1,586 reviews and 3,604 photos

I spent 6 days in this beautiful city that seems to be frozen in time for the past few decades...vintage cars, baroque style buildings, grand casas and palacios, beautiful courtyards. This was my first visit to Havana, which was declared as an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988. This city is probably the only place on Earth with the highest concentraion of functional old American cars. And probably the only busy city in the world without any major worldwide chain stores and restaurants.

Since I stayed within walking distance to Habana Vieja, I was able to walk around in this old part of town leisurely. I did ventured out to Vedado, the newer part of Havana. But if you're interested in historical colonial style architecture, you'll find a lot of excellent examples in the old area.

Most ppl are friendly and easy going, and they're willing to give you directions or show you around (although some expect you to pay them some USD, or even to have further relationship.) I wish I could speak Spanish, as I could then have more interactions with the locals.

• Pros:Beautiful architecture, lots of vintage cars, no major chain stores or restaurants
  • Cons:Watch where/what you step on, learn Spanish if you want to get an in-depth look of the ppl and culture
  • In a nutshell:Visit before the economic invasion of capitalism
  • Last visit to Havana: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2004

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Great page Mimi!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2007 at 3:28 AM

Hello Mimi. I really enjoyed reading your tips & viewing your lovely photos of Havana! I hope to visit beautiful Cuba one day... in the meantime, my ratings are with you. Greetings from the desert / Jess in Dubai :-)

• GenuinelyCurious's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 11:21 AM

50 tips - 50 photos. Really great chronicle of this interesting destination.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Wonderful tips from a featured member on VT today. Cuba! You are so lucky to have visited there.

• juliewong's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Just love to go to havana one day. So lively.

• Mar 24, 2007 at 2:34 PM

haha im related to the bacardis, they own the rum company

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2006 at 9:58 AM

Very interesting tip about the Caballero de Paris! I saw the statue when I was in Havana last year but I didn't know the story behind it. Thanks for sharing!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 10:47 AM

Wow! It's an excellent page made with passion. An impressive tour of the major sites of Havana! I'd love to visit someday. These old American cars in front of colonial houses look fantastic!

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 5:42 AM

haha...cuba must have been a nice place to visit!!! nice to visit your page :)

• florry's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 11:40 PM

nice pics and info:)

mim95

“Travelling is an addiction!”

Badges & Stats in Havana