"Felt like going back in time..." Top 5 Page for this destination Havana by mim95
Havana Travel Guide: 1,623 reviews and 3,949 photos
I spent 6 days in this beautiful city that seems to be frozen in time for the past few decades...vintage cars, baroque style buildings, grand casas and palacios, beautiful courtyards. This was my first visit to Havana, which was declared as an UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1988. This city is probably the only place on Earth with the highest concentraion of functional old American cars. And probably the only busy city in the world without any major worldwide chain stores and restaurants.
Since I stayed within walking distance to Habana Vieja, I was able to walk around in this old part of town leisurely. I did ventured out to Vedado, the newer part of Havana. But if you're interested in historical colonial style architecture, you'll find a lot of excellent examples in the old area.
Most ppl are friendly and easy going, and they're willing to give you directions or show you around (although some expect you to pay them some USD, or even to have further relationship.) I wish I could speak Spanish, as I could then have more interactions with the locals.
- Pros:Beautiful architecture, lots of vintage cars, no major chain stores or restaurants
- Cons:Watch where/what you step on, learn Spanish if you want to get an in-depth look of the ppl and culture
- In a nutshell:Visit before the economic invasion of capitalism
This is not in Havana, but a two-hour drive west of the city. I highly recommand anyone who travels to Havana to spare a... more travel advice
There are hundreds of vendors selling a variety of items, from hand-made jewlery and clothing to paintings and craft... more travel advice
mim95's Related Pages
Havana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to HAVANA !!!! ;)"
- "Habana - La ciudad de las columnas"
- "Felt like going back in time..."
- "Balcon al Caribe"
- "The faded beauty of Havana"
- "CITY OF MY LIFE"
- "LA HABANA VIEJA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Havana
- Hotels in Havana
- Transportation in Havana
- Nightlife in Havana
- Restaurants in Havana
- Shopping in Havana
- Warnings and Dangers in Havana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Havana
- 79 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Havana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Havana
Photos in HavanaSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Havana Intro, 79 reviews, 77 photos
- Nikko Intro, 25 reviews, 79 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 35 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Rai Intro, 34 reviews, 56 photos
- Toronto Intro, 36 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taipei Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos
- Lhasa Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Montreal Intro, 15 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Algonquin Provincial Park Intro, 19 reviews, 10 photos