"Ljubljana - my home town" Ljubljana by Umea6
Ljubljana Travel Guide: 1,964 reviews and 4,415 photos
I have been living in Ljubljana all my life. A lot has changed in the last decade, especially after gaining independance. Ljubljana has become a European capital visited by more tourists every year. It is small, app. 300.000 inhabitantas so it is easy to get around.
Although it is small, its history has left the city with many tourist's attractions.
A great architect JOZE PLECNIK was born in Ljubljana in the 19th century. He was a european modern architect. He designed many parks and squares in Ljubljana and gave the modern appearence to the city in the period between the two World Wars.
Not so long ago Slovenia was a part of former Yugoslavia. Slovenia gained independence and sovereignity on the 25 th of June in 1991 after a national referendum in 1990 when Slovene unanimously voted FOR independent REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA. The capital city of Slovenia become LJUBLJANA which is not only the political, but also the economic and cultural capital.
Ljubljana was first mentioned in 1144, but under a different - German name Laibach. A phonetic transcription of the Slovene name for the city was Luwigana.
One of the theories how Ljubljana got its name stem from the word "ljubljena," which in Slovene language means "beloved."
Although Slovenia is a very tiny country, you would be surprised by its diversity - it lies between the ALPS, the MEDITERRANEAN and the PANNONIAN PLAIN.
- Pros:So small a women can walk through the city in high heels in one day.
- In a nutshell:Pocket size capital.
Great restaurant... order a fish if you like them. more travel advice
Three main symbols of Ljubljana are on the flag: green colour, the castle and the dragon more travel advice
- See All ANTIQUE HOTEL
- See All JULIJA
- See All Cha - tea and tea accessories
- See All Swimming complex ATLANTIS
Umea6's Related Pages
Ljubljana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ljubljana - Relaxing capital city"
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Easygoing Capital"
- "Ljubljana and its surroundings"
- "Ljubljana, another well kept secret"
- "Slovenia 2006"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ljubljana
- Hotels in Ljubljana
- Transportation in Ljubljana
- Nightlife in Ljubljana
- Restaurants in Ljubljana
- Shopping in Ljubljana
- Warnings and Dangers in Ljubljana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ljubljana
- 92 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ljubljana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ljubljana
Photos in LjubljanaSee All Photos (71)
Top 10 Pages
- Ljubljana Intro, 92 reviews, 71 photos, 4 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 54 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tunisia Intro, 51 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 35 reviews, 50 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sri Lanka Intro, 29 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tuscany Intro, 33 reviews, 35 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 34 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Yangshuo Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 21 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue