Paris Off The Beaten Path Tips by Dee22
Paris Off The Beaten Path: 1,841 reviews and 3,550 photos
A beautiful old plain on display
Musée des Arts et Métiers is a historical museum loaded things and information that tells you the story of practically all technical innovation made by humans!
You'll go on a journey from back in the early days of innovation and learn about scientific instruments, materials, constriuction, communication, energy-sources, mechanics, transport and much more. All this is found in beautiful buildings where you not only can look at the things on display but also try some of the 'computer-lessons', watch movies and even try a few of the old things yourself.
I gotta say that much of this is really exciting stuff, but at the same time some of this is 'a bit heavy' too...i mean, kids might get tired of walking around there for a long time and if you want to get much into it...prepare to spend at least 4-5 hours if not more. But it's definitely worth a visit if you have interest for innovation!
This place even has it's own metro-station...probably the most beautiful in Paris, so it won't be hard to find!
Simply stop at the station named: Arts et Métiers on Réaumur-Sebastopol.
The exact adress is:
Musée des arts et métiers
Conservatoire national des arts et métiers
60 rue Réamur
The price was 5,5 € for adults when I was three and 4,5 € for students!
Phone: (33) I 53 01 82 00
A view of one of the lakes in the forrest
If you get tired of walking around in the center of the city and want some more peace and nature surroundings... Paris can fix that too! Jump on Metro Line 1, 9 or 10 in western direction and head for Bois de Boulogne in the outskirts of the city. Bring a picnic, your bike or a pair of rollerblades and go enjoy a couple of hours in this big forrest, where you'll find a huge Hippodrome (Horse race track) as well as a couple of nice lakes. A great place to exercise or relax!
If you go by metro line 1 (against La Défense), get of at Porte Maillot which is the northeastern corner of the forrest, and if you go by metro line 9 (against Pont de Sévres), get of at Porte de St-Cloud, which is the southeastern corner. Be prepaired to walk a few minutes from the Metro to reach the forrest. It'll be about a 20-30 minute metro-ride from the center city.
Me crusing the Design Market at Montparnasse
You might get tired of walking inside museums, especially if the weather is nice. On Sundays you'll have a chance to combine a good art-experience with the good weather (if it's good). At the street just 'behind' the Montparnasse tower you'll find the Design Market every Sunday where a lot of very good artists display their work and sell it. I really loved this...there were so many different styles and some really great work!
I would also recommend people who might study art to go there and get some inspiration...it's really good!
Well, this is not a true 'off the beaten path' tip, because the Stravinsky Fountain is found just beside one of the more famous sights in Paris...Centre Pompidou. But this fountain is worth a look and wirth a few photos! It's a nice place to sit down and relax after having walked around in the crowded streets, and a nice place to enjoy the view of the controverisal Pompidou-building.
At the path-walk along the Seine (mostly on the left bank) you'll get the chance to do a little 'river shopping'.
There is lots and lots of these small street-shops selling old books, posters, postcards and stuff like that.
You'll find thngs at all price levels and it's very interesting to just look even though you don't wanna buy anything.
Almost 250 of these 'salesmen' get an 'official license' from the town every year.
Climb the wall at your own risk :0)
Cimetiére du Pére Lachaise is an incredible cemetery that has lots and lots of gigantic tombstones which makes it look like a small town of it's own.
One of the most 'popular' and famous graves are the one of Jim Morrison (1943-1971).
More than 30 years since his dead, you'll still find fresh flowers and candles on his graves everyday as well as you might see fans of his music standing there crying even though they were might not even born when he took his own life.
In top of that you'll find small shops near the cemetery whee you can buy all kinds of Jim Morrison souveniers, candles pictures and so on.
I've heard that some crazy fans enter the cemetery at night to party at Morrison's grave, and that's why it's guarded by a heavy fence at the top of the walls surrounding it. As the photo proves some people still try to find a way in!
This cemetery is worth a visit, and so it's official website where you can take a virtual tour....
One of the city hall buildings in the 5th arr.
Everyone of Paris' twenty arrondissements has their own city hall, and though they may not beat the main-city hall in the center city (Hotel de Ville), they might be worth taking a look at.
If you go to see the Pantheon church at Place du Pantheon, you can't miss the city hall there, as it's buildings kind of 'surround' the front of the church - just across the street.
A summers day in Jardin des Plantes
Jardins des Plantes in the 5th arr. near the Seine is another great park/garden in Paris.
Maybe not as famous as Jardins du Luxembourg, but this park offers some other activities.
Take your time to wander around a enjoy the millions of beautiful flowers, or enter one of the 'greenhouses' - a mexican and a tropical.
The park also contains a small zoo and 'History of Nature Museum' - Museum national d'histoire Naturelle.
The park opens when the sun goes op, and closes at sunset.
You'll find the park at: Rue Cuvier, Rue Buffon / Place Valhubert
Phone: 01 40 79 30 00
More Reviews (52)
- See All Good hotel with great location
- See All Go and hide... with a beer!
- See All This is gooood...!
- See All Take a tower-power-nap
- See All Food for homesick americans
- See All Party on with the firemen
Dee22's Related Pages
Paris Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Perambulations in Paris!"
- "London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation."
- "My Paris: not only operas and bicycles . . ."
- "Three plus one of the best museums in the world."
- "Beatchick's Paris Adventure!"
- "Paris - Over 40 years of love and hate."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Paris
- Hotels in Paris
- Transportation in Paris
- Nightlife in Paris
- Restaurants in Paris
- Shopping in Paris
- Warnings and Dangers in Paris
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hamilton Hotels
- San Gaetano Hotels
- Oostkerke Hotels
- Mishawaka Hotels
- Redwood Falls
- The Tikuna are one of the last...
- Tavira Off The Beaten Path
- Parque Tayrona Off The Beaten Path
- Lone Pine Off The Beaten Path
- Bilbao Off The Beaten Path
- Cadaqués Off The Beaten Path
- Republic of Montenegro Off The Beaten Path
- Sanya Off The Beaten Path
- State Parks, Animals and Nature
- Haiti Off The Beaten Path
- Isla de Formentera Off The Beaten Path
- Bolivia Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Paris
- 60 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Paris
Photos in ParisSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 98 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odense Intro, 24 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Antibes Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- Germany Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Verninge Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Sweden Intro, 6 photos, 1 travelogue
- Norway Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- London Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Nice Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
Latest Paris hotel reviews
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Hotel Les Hauts de Passy
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 30, 2013
- Duc De Saint Simon
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Ibis Paris Xeme Lafayette
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 24, 2013
- Hotel D'albion
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 9, 2013
- Parisian Home S09052
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Jardins De Paris Montmartre
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 18, 2013
- PV City Aparthotel Tour Eiffel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 22, 2011
- Hotel Leonard de Vinci
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2012
- Hotel Mayfair
- 302 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Mercure Paris Opera Garnier
- 146 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 4, 2013
- Hotel De La Terrasse
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 3, 2013
- Eiffel Tower- 807 Reviews, 1398 Photos
- Montmartre - Sacré Coeur- 574 Reviews, 1008 Photos
- Louvre- 769 Reviews, 1488 Photos
- Notre Dame de Paris- 629 Reviews, 1258 Photos
- Arc de Triomphe- 431 Reviews, 741 Photos
- Musée d'Orsay- 266 Reviews, 527 Photos
- Latin Quarter- 81 Reviews, 231 Photos
- Champs Elysées- 173 Reviews, 280 Photos
- Sainte-Chapelle- 142 Reviews, 338 Photos
- Versailles- 205 Reviews, 389 Photos
See All Paris Things to Do