"Erice, medieval town on a hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Erice by ludogatto

Erice Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 73 photos

Erice names from the sicilian-italico Eryx, that it means “mount”, in fact it raise on the San giuliano mount, 571 mt looking to Trapani city.
The zone, of extraordinary beauty, and naturally fortified, was inhabited from the times of the Advanced Paleolitico and Neolithic (the coves). It was Elimna under the infuence of the Cartaginesi and later the Greeks wanted it for its immense riches.
Destroyed during the 1^ punic war from the Cartaginesi, Erice were conquered from the Roman in the 248 a.C., which brought back to the ancient splendor the tempio, dedicating it to the goddess Venere.
Afetr followed the conqueror history of Sicily: it was bizantina, then Arabic, therefore normanna.
The Normanni builded the famous Castle. During the middle Age churches and convents were built up, and from then, except some baroque palace, the roccaforte and remained the same one. Inside of the town-walls building (of which they are remained three doors of medieval age) can be admired the Dome, built up in the 1300's, Castello normanno, the church of Saint Martino, the church of Saint Domenico (today center of the scientific Center Ettore Majorana), the civic museum, and all the charming small village, from the typically medieval structure.

There is a new funicular that leaves from Trapani, but I heard abut some problames again...so it's better to go up with the car or busses.

Panoramic view: Bonagia and Custonaci from Erice

Favignana island ( Egadi ) with the Trapani 'saline'...

• Last visit to Erice: Sep 2005
  • Intro Written Nov 23, 2006

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Ciao Simona, good advice on prices in Erice. My wife and I only had the pastries on a walk in Erice, as well as two meals. My grandmother was from Messina, so I love all of Sicilia. Larry

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Ahh, I knew I would find treasures touring with you. I wanted to visit Erice when I was living in Mondello, but never got a chance - so love to see it here.

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2006 at 1:08 PM

Ci sono stato. Cittadina criptica, arcana (specialmente di notte), ma nello stesso tempo, la sua bellezza mi ha lasciato a bocca aperta. E quel vento che tira lí di continuo! Fa venire i brividi. Spero che un giorno avró la possibilitá di tornarvi.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 1:05 PM

Gosh, so different to when I was there. We were almost the only people walking around. Thank you for jogging my memory. I'll have to go and check out my Sicilian pages again.

• Nov 29, 2006 at 1:15 AM

Nice place, Sicily is so beautifull

ludogatto Visits Here Frequently!

ludogatto