"Erice, medieval town on a hill" Top 5 Page for this destination Erice by ludogatto
Erice Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 105 photos
Erice names from the sicilian-italico Eryx, that it means “mount”, in fact it raise on the San giuliano mount, 571 mt looking to Trapani city.
The zone, of extraordinary beauty, and naturally fortified, was inhabited from the times of the Advanced Paleolitico and Neolithic (the coves). It was Elimna under the infuence of the Cartaginesi and later the Greeks wanted it for its immense riches.
Destroyed during the 1^ punic war from the Cartaginesi, Erice were conquered from the Roman in the 248 a.C., which brought back to the ancient splendor the tempio, dedicating it to the goddess Venere.
Afetr followed the conqueror history of Sicily: it was bizantina, then Arabic, therefore normanna.
The Normanni builded the famous Castle. During the middle Age churches and convents were built up, and from then, except some baroque palace, the roccaforte and remained the same one. Inside of the town-walls building (of which they are remained three doors of medieval age) can be admired the Dome, built up in the 1300's, Castello normanno, the church of Saint Martino, the church of Saint Domenico (today center of the scientific Center Ettore Majorana), the civic museum, and all the charming small village, from the typically medieval structure.
There is a new funicular that leaves from Trapani, but I heard abut some problames again...so it's better to go up with the car or busses.
Erice is full of beautifull pasty shop, but walking in the narrow street of the medieval town I followed the perfect... more travel advice
ludogatto's Related Pages
Erice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Erice, medieval town on a hill"
- "Erice - Città della Scienza"
- "sacred prostitutes"
- "A Medieval Splendor"
- "Erice - The home of Science"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erice
- Hotels in Erice
- Transportation in Erice
- Restaurants in Erice
- Shopping in Erice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erice
- 12 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Erice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erice
Photos in EriceSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 68 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 30 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tropea Intro, 11 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ferrara Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otranto Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Croatia Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues