"Blue" Top 5 Page for this destination Otranto by ludogatto
Otranto Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 84 photos
..........Otranto, also called "Oriental Door", faces the Straits that take the same name, the Otranto Canal located on the South of the Adriatic, the most oriental point of Italy.
In times gone by it was the chief town of the land and still today it preserves the characteristic aspect of the ancient commercial cities that faced the Mediterranean. It shows itself to the several visitors that each year crowds its coasts and its historical centre is each year sunny and with its oriental charm.
During clear days it is possible to catch a glimpse of Albania Mountains that are 70 miles far.
To testimony the nightmare of the Turks invasions there are the two sighting medieval towers. The historical centre remained untouched despite the big building expansion.
Otranto offers to its visitors the Cathedral that was finished and opened to faith in 1088. It has a remarkable size and is considered the biggest church of Puglia. It has an incomparable value and the floor mosaic, done by a monk, preserves the remains of the 800 martyrs killed by the Turks.
Otranto is also Aragonese castle with the towers, the bastions and the walls. It is also the ancient village with its narrow and winding streets, made of stone; it is the harbour that has always had a remarkable importance for its trades with the Orient and last, but not least, it is the crystal and limpid sea rich of dunes, gorges, grottos and inlets that with the presence of the Alimini Lakes makes this town really charming to become love at first sight..........
Thanks to Salento.it
On the coast north of Otranto stretch for miles of beautiful white sand beaches and crystal blue sea, with pine forests... more travel advice
Zia Fernanda Palumbo personally performs most of the proposals. Fish without any doubt [the sea is 100 meters]: pepper... more travel advice
ludogatto's Related Pages
Otranto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There's a castle in Otranto"
- "The best sea in the whole Italy"
- "Had no idea it would be this nice"
- "Otranto is a jewlery"
- "Are you ready to be enchanted?"
- "Un estate fa....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otranto
- Hotels in Otranto
- Transportation in Otranto
- Nightlife in Otranto
- Restaurants in Otranto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otranto
- 14 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Otranto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otranto
Photos in OtrantoSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 68 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Salvador da Bahia Intro, 30 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paros Intro, 11 reviews, 49 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jericoacoara Intro, 11 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dubai Intro, 19 reviews, 30 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tropea Intro, 11 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ferrara Intro, 18 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Otranto Intro, 14 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Croatia Intro, 15 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ilha de Fernando de Noronha Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues