"emerald coast- costa smeralda" Costa Smeralda by randychiara
Costa Smeralda Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 52 photos
In March 1962, a small group of international financiers, headed by Prince Karim Aga Khan, founded the Emerald Coast Consortium with the aim of developing for tourism the sites bought in the territory of the municipality of Arzachena. A series of high quality infrastructures were gradually created, bringing Porto Cervo and the Emerald Coast to the top level for international tourism. Attracted by the prestige of the prince, many other businessmen made important investments, developing areas in the neighbourhood of the Emerald Coast, with the result that the north-eastern part of Gallura became the most important point of attraction for tourism in Sardinia.
The territory of which Arzachena is the administrative centre covers more than 80 kilometres of coastline, with a vast well watered hinterland of rolling granite hills covered with Mediterranean maquis and woods of wild olive trees. The important tourist development has led to considerable transformations in the local economy: the old system of farming and sheep rearing has been ousted by an intense activity based on the tertiary sector, in which building and tourism prevail. Arzachena itself has attracted new inhabitants from all over the island and has become a modern town whose many facilities include a sports centre with gymnasium, football pitch and numerous tennis courts complete with floodlighting, where an international ladies' tournament is held every year at the end of the summer.
On the coast a number of resorts with a strong tourist vocation have been created and developed and now enjoy international renown. Porto Cervo was built from scratch and became the heart of the Emerald Coast.
- Pros:beautiful sea
- Cons:too many snob's in Porto Cervo..other than that, it's a great place to go
randychiara's Related Pages
Costa Smeralda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Costa Smeralda - Europe's playground"
- "Summer 2001 : East Sardinia"
- "emerald coast- costa smeralda"
- "The beautiful island"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Costa Smeralda
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Costa Smeralda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Costa Smeralda
Photos in Costa SmeraldaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Livorno Intro, 63 reviews, 36 photos
- New York City Intro, 48 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florianópolis Intro, 40 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Natal Intro, 30 reviews, 33 photos
- Argentina Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jaipur Intro, 24 reviews, 27 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 26 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola d' Elba Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Agra Intro, 21 reviews, 24 photos
- Isla Mujeres Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos